Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

I did eat the same thing almost every day. I don't even care what I eat anymore, healthy or junk, just as long as I'm full after.

So much great info in this thread that I'm not sure where to start. I haven't had a chance to go to the library, but when I go today I'll pick a cookbook.

The meal planning is the hard part. Let's take breakfast as an example. Usually I save 20 minutes for a dash to the diner for breakfast. I usually have two strips of bacon, scrambled eggs, sausage, and sweet tea. No reason why other than that it fills me up.

How much time is required to make that breakfast? Scrambled eggs and bacon have to cook around 10 minutes, sausage has to be cooked for slightly less. I assume I can use two pans to make them simultaneously. So 15 minutes to make is my guess.

This is how illiterate I am in this matter!
Old 05-26-2016, 09:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outland View Post
I did eat the same thing almost every day. I don't even care what I eat anymore, healthy or junk, just as long as I'm full after.

So much great info in this thread that I'm not sure where to start. I haven't had a chance to go to the library, but when I go today I'll pick a cookbook.

The meal planning is the hard part. Let's take breakfast as an example. Usually I save 20 minutes for a dash to the diner for breakfast. I usually have two strips of bacon, scrambled eggs, sausage, and sweet tea. No reason why other than that it fills me up.

How much time is required to make that breakfast? Scrambled eggs and bacon have to cook around 10 minutes, sausage has to be cooked for slightly less. I assume I can use two pans to make them simultaneously. So 15 minutes to make is my guess.

This is how illiterate I am in this matter!
Cook up a load of bacon & sausage ahead & nuke them
as needed. You can do the same thing with pancakes.
Make a bunch ahead. Over time you will save a ton of $$
.Your bacon & eggs under $1, pancakes less unless
you use REAL maple syrup from VT or NH
For cook book get a BASIC one. It will have all the info you
will need besides recipes.

73 Zeno
Old 05-26-2016, 10:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Three words: electric pressure cooker. I'm a college student myself, and mine has been an absolute life saver. I can have a meal that would take hours to cooks properly in a crockpot done in less than 45 minutes in some cases. Add in total prep and it's still under an hour.
We had a pressure cooker in our family, as soon as they became available again, after WW II.
I just bought a new one, as the older one wouldn't set straight on my glass top electric range. It also, comes with a recipe book and the meals always come out perfect.
Corned beef and cabbage, totally " Out of this World".
I use the recipe, "New England Boiled Dinner".
Old 05-26-2016, 01:37 PM
DTV blows

Just last week I made a New England Boiled Dinner for my family from scratch on the stovetop (= no pressure cooker).

Cover the pork butt with water and boil it gently for 30 minutes. Then add cabbage cut into eighths of a head, carrots and small potatoes. Add water to cover, and some pepper. Bring to a boil and then boil gently for one hour. Done in 90 minutes, and delicious.