Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:21 AM
<--1956 300B

1958 GE wired remote set on Ebay

This one looks kind of interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...180312034&rd=1

polaraman
Old 05-18-2005, 02:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't see many GE sets from this age. There was one in an antique mall near here, with doors, for something like $35 but I passed due to space limitations. Not a remote set, though. I notice this one was made in Syracuse; when did they move production to Portsmouth,VA? Once I found some advertising pieces from about this age that touted GE being the most reliable tv set on the market. The General certainly built it's market share up; it seems their sets from the 70s-80s are dime a dozen around here.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:37 PM
<--1956 300B

It would be an 8 hour drive for bgadow. Kamakiri is really close to this set.

polaraman
Old 05-18-2005, 05:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tuning

What exactly did the Distance/Local switch do to the tuner and its circuitry? I always wondered this..
Old 05-18-2005, 06:47 PM
console lover

I think you'd have to be literally in the transmitter's back yard for that switch to be necessary. Distant position=clear picture. Local position=snowy picture. And that's on cable.
Audiokarma
Old 05-18-2005, 10:02 PM

My parents had this exact set when I was a kid. I think it's still around. Ours never had a remote, and it doesnt look like this one does either. It has 2 grey buttons below the tuning knob labeled "Power Tuning". if you press the button on the left, the channel knob rotates left, the one on the right turns the channel knob right . Ka-chunk....Ka-chunk.... Ka-chunk. On the picture of the back, those white things on the back of the round thing are stops. You slide the ones that have channels, and when you hit the Power Tuning buttons, it only stops on the ones that you set.

I think that the 3 pin plug is probably just an extension of the power tuning buttons. Any doorbell button should work. I can't imagine why you would need both directions of rotation.

It made a decent picture, It wont make your jaw drop like some old 70 degree sets will, but its not too bad. Reliability? Well, I dont think it ever actually stopped working. Maybe it had some tubes changed. It had a CRT at least once. Sync didnt stay locked well in later years though.

It said "Ultra Vision" on the screen mask. I think that was a reference to UHF.

John

Ka-chunk....Ka-chunk....Ka-chunk....Ka-chunk.... Ka-chunk
Old 05-19-2005, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaraman
It would be an 8 hour drive for bgadow. Kamakiri is really close to this set.

polaraman
About a two hour drive for me....Newark NY is near the Chatauqua region.

Still, I'll road trip and get it if anyone wants it, as long as you don't mind me doing it at my convenience
Old 05-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Electronics Accumulator

Neat! I have a set that's very similar to this one. It's the 1960 model, with a 110 degree tube. It doesn't have UHF, and it doesn't have the power tuning or remote, although there are mounts and notes about where those features would go. The remote system that would have gone with mine is a wireless one, and it added another small chassis at the bottom of the set, in the speaker area, to support it. This set appears to have an 8" round speaker installed - mine has a (wait for it...) 9"x21" speaker. Yes, that's 21 inches across, nine inches tall. It's quite possibly one of the most unusual looking speakers I've ever seen. Even has a coaxially mounted tweeter. My set works mostly, although the picture is vertically squished (haven't gotten around to recapping). Found it along the side of the road and managed to get it into my Toyota Camry. That wouldn't have been possible if it was this model, the 110 degree tube makes a huge difference in the depth of the set!

I don't know what it is about these sets, but I really do like the looks of the cabinet. Should also be a good performer too. Definitely a higher-end model, with the remote and power tuning and all. Someone should go for it!

-Ian
Old 05-19-2005, 11:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had a Philco that I scrapped but saved the chassis, it had the wired remote. I never had the remote but did rig it up, with a long wire and a switch, and it worked fine. I have the same set I scrapped but in a table model (same model as the one tubejunke has) and someday I think I'll put the remote assy. in that set.

Ka-chunk!