Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2019, 05:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

1975 Sears Sanyo 19" Color

Found this tv at an estate sale this weekend, they just wanted it gone, so I got it free. I've been looking for an older vacuum tube style set, but this one would have been tossed so I saved it.

It's a basic metal cabinet with plastic back cover, and seems like a well made set. It was pretty dirty so I took the chassis out and cleaned everything inside and out. It looks pretty nice now.

It probably needs all new electrolytics, but there's one in the power supply to the RGB output transistors that tests dead that's causing the left side of the picture to be too dark, and the right too bright. It's more noticeable on dim scenes or when you turn the brightness down. It's a 4.7uF @ 250v - the only cap I had that was remotely close was a 10uF @ 400v of unknown age so I tried that, it went from too bright to no raster whatsoever, but the screen did have the usual white flash and collapse when powering it down, so I need to get the correct cap and see what it does. I put the original cap back in even though it tests dead, and it's back to where it was. I got the tip that it was this cap from the www.repairfaq.org website, I've used that site a lot over the years for different electronic items and it's been a great resource.

CRT is really bright, but has red & blue color bleeding (flaring?) on high contrast scenes. I know that's a symptom of a weak crt but I don't have a tester, and until I get the bad cap(s) replaced I'm not going to condemn it.

No idea what I'll do with it, but it's a cool old TV that I hope can make a good picture again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (39.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (56.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (54.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (86.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (42.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (79.1 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by joe111671; 05-05-2019 at 06:22 PM.