Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:12 PM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

LG flat panels have weird speakers.

Have any of you noticed this? In many LG LCD TVs, the speakers have a...weird design. Each speaker driver consists of two voice coils and two magnets sharing a single cone and frame. In fact, wiring the speakers a certain way results in *stereo sound* from a *single speaker cone*. Personally, I cannot think of a reason to do this, other than maybe to cram more loudness into a thin space, if it even works that way. I've never seen any similar speaker architecture anywhere else, and LG has been making them this way for years, so it must be doing what they want it to do. See the attached photos. These particular speakers live inside a 42LD450 built in 2010.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210414_000547.jpg (87.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 20210414_000603.jpg (75.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 20210414_000615.jpg (71.3 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by YamahaFreak; 04-14-2021 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is likely the method LG uses to produce "pseudo surround" sound from the panel. Think about it, if the hookup allows for directionality within each cone, any old DSP can then be used to take 2.0 stereo or even mono content and reproduce this effect. On the old Sony Trintrons with SRS simulated surround, they had two beefy oval speakers, perhaps ~5W one per side, but controlled the phase going into each via its own feedback wire which was in addition to the main STK type power amp.

THOSE TVs had serious audio performance....Anyone remember the Wega set with the subwoofer built in?
Old 08-05-2021, 05:16 PM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
This is likely the method LG uses to produce "pseudo surround" sound from the panel. Think about it, if the hookup allows for directionality within each cone, any old DSP can then be used to take 2.0 stereo or even mono content and reproduce this effect. On the old Sony Trintrons with SRS simulated surround, they had two beefy oval speakers, perhaps ~5W one per side, but controlled the phase going into each via its own feedback wire which was in addition to the main STK type power amp.

THOSE TVs had serious audio performance....Anyone remember the Wega set with the subwoofer built in?
Remember them? I own a few! My favorite is the KV-40XBR800 with its dual voice coil subwoofer in its own form-fitted cabinet, slung over the CRT bell.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

XBRs were a real nice set! I know of many which are still
in regular use. It's funny, around the time of the DTV transition, everyone was freaking out/getting converters etc..but personally I don't even watch OTA television basically at all. All prerecorded material. That's where these nice XBRs and others shine today...I can name many friends who keep a big old SD CRT just for their tape, laser, and dvd collections
Old 08-05-2021, 07:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think that's to get additional volume out of such a small speaker. Vizio had some odd speakers in some of their sets.

Audiokarma
Old 08-05-2021, 08:09 PM
M is for Memory

The LG design is similar to what's in some laptops.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-30-2023, 08:07 PM
<----Zenith C845

Insignia TV speakers aren't that great either.

My Insignia 32" flat screen TV has two speakers, mounted so that the sound is projected directly downward, not at the listener's ears. My hearing is very bad (brain injury at birth) and I am practically deaf in my right ear, so I have to turn up the volume very high just to hear much of anything. I got so fed up with this I finally bought a pair of wireless TV headphones, which solved the problem. No stereo (I said I am all but totally deaf in my right ear), but at least now I can turn up my TV volume as high as I need to without having to be concerned about disturbing my neighbors (I live on the first floor of a two-story apartment building).

BTW, flat-screen televisions in general have very poorly designed audio systems, since the speakers are usually mounted as they are in my set, just below the display to project the sound directly downward. Apparently I am not the only one having problems hearing these speakers, as I have seen pictures of wall-mounted flat screens in which larger speakers are mounted directly below the TV display and are connected to the set using the external speaker connection.

Why on earth are today's flat screen TVs designed with such poor audio systems? When I was growing up, my family had two console TVs (a 21" RCA, replaced a few years later by a 21" Crosley) with large speakers in the TV cabinet. The RCA set had the best audio, IMHO, as its speakers were mounted so that they could be heard well even at medium volume. The Crosley TV's speaker (just one, about 10" diameter) was mounted in the TV's cabinet, directly below the CRT, and sounded just as good that in the RCA console.

However, in the early 1960s, the Crosley TV was replaced by a 17" Sears b&w portable. The Sears set had passable sound, but nowhere near as good as either of its predecessors since the Silvertone set had a puny speaker mounted to the right of the CRT.

Modern TVs are no different as far as sound quality is concerned; flat screens with puny speakers, not unlike the ones in cheap transistor portable radios. (I've had a few of the latter as a teenager and can vouch for the bottom-feeder audio quality; however, then again most teenagers would not even notice the difference as long as they can hear the local AM (later FM) station just as loud as they can get it with the volume turned up sky-high.)

I guess today's flat screens are just built cheaply, and to heck with quality anymore. The best way around this is to connect a pair of decent stereo speakers to the TV, using the set's external (often marked headphone) jack, often located at the side of the set, or do what I did, connecting a pair of wireless headphones to the set's audio output jack.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 01-30-2023 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

You could do it like Proscan does.

Supply your own speakers. Red and black binding posts on either side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Proscan.jpg (83.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-31-2023, 09:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
Supply your own speakers. Red and black binding posts on either side.
I have disconnected the built in speakers and installed my own speaker jacks. It's amazing how much better a cheap set of speakers sound.