Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

A question about trinitrons.

Awhile back, i acquired a Trinitron console television from ~1983 for $60, I really love the thing but the tube is a bit tired, but still watchable. But, the other day i acquired a macintosh performa computer, that came with the monitor typically shipped with the macintosh II, made in ~1987. The tube in there is a bit dim too, and when I Turned it on the 'across the line' capacitors blew up, but after that (probrobly stupid to try using it again, but I was excited to farther test my new computer) the monitor works perfectly fine. Except for one thing, I understand the capacitors in it might be a little tired too, the black bits around the image being a little green, but whatever.

What I came here to ask was, 'is this a common thing for this-era of trinitron?' The 'thing' being the red-tint to the image. It's not really noticeable except on whites. It gets better as the set warms up but my first thought is it's a sign of a weak CRT.

Another thing i'm curious about is, Somebody told me one time that "all trinitrons are compatible as long as you get the same screen size, they didn't really change through the years". However i think on the late-model trinitrons the curvature on the front is more towards flat, However i'm not so sure how to measure this without removing the tube from the CRT.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Early 26" trinitrons had a short life. The symptoms you have
are 95% a weak CRT. Not all are the same. They evolved over the years
so odds are the wrong CRT may no work right or physicaly fit.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 05-17-2021, 05:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady_14 View Post
Awhile back, i acquired a Trinitron console television from ~1983 for $60, I really love the thing but the tube is a bit tired, but still watchable. But, the other day i acquired a macintosh performa computer, that came with the monitor typically shipped with the macintosh II, made in ~1987. The tube in there is a bit dim too, and when I Turned it on the 'across the line' capacitors blew up, but after that (probrobly stupid to try using it again, but I was excited to farther test my new computer) the monitor works perfectly fine. Except for one thing, I understand the capacitors in it might be a little tired too, the black bits around the image being a little green, but whatever.

What I came here to ask was, 'is this a common thing for this-era of trinitron?' The 'thing' being the red-tint to the image. It's not really noticeable except on whites. It gets better as the set warms up but my first thought is it's a sign of a weak CRT.

Another thing i'm curious about is, Somebody told me one time that "all trinitrons are compatible as long as you get the same screen size, they didn't really change through the years". However i think on the late-model trinitrons the curvature on the front is more towards flat, However i'm not so sure how to measure this without removing the tube from the CRT.
I would say Trinitrons were about mid-pack for life hours *on average*. There were some that were above the average and some versions that were very short lived - IOW, like most manufacturers.

As far as interchangeability of Trinitrons, there were a lot of variations over the years and I would say the interchangeability was less than the common U.S. versions.

John