Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Surrounded by old stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
And how well works on the radio?
Unfortunately, the radio I have is currently not working. I don't have batteries to run it on, and there is a problem with the AC power supply. I will need to take a look at it some time.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:55 PM
I love old stuff

You can put in series 10 9 Volts batteries
Old 05-21-2019, 03:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I own Austrias first all tube FM portable radio:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/radion...?language_id=2

and its hybrid successor

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/radione_r25t.html

This radio offers not only a built in mains transformer but also a transistorized DC/DC converter which obivated the anode battery
Old 05-21-2019, 04:13 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Dummy me....I have, what I consider to be a really PRIMO all Tooob AM-FM radio-a Newcomb model AFM-1500. I got this Bad Boi about 5-10 yrs back from a Facebook local, who knew I'm into old radio/TV junque. Newcomb also made school record players & whatnot, their stuff was always good quality & "Built to Take It" This set has an AM section that rivals any of my Boatanchors, & the FM section is equally good. I used to have it on my nightstand, & would go to sleep to Art Bell/George Noory by it, on WLAC 1510 in Nashville. They came in the best here in Greater Bugtussle, but my wife won't let me play it anymore. But SHE can listen to her I-thingy doodad, it ain't FAIR, dammittall.... (Grin) Anyhow, if you ever run into one of these sets, I HIGHLY recommend you get it. If you don't want it, I'll happily beg, borrow, buy, steal it off you. They're portable-Well, "Luggable" would be more like it, but they're a DANDY radio, roughly the size of a moderately large tool box. Mine is rather "1960" looking, Kent T. looked 'em up, & I think mine went for $270 or so back then, a princely sum for a radio in 1960...
Old 05-23-2019, 04:29 PM
I love old stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef View Post
I own Austrias first all tube FM portable radio:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/radion...?language_id=2

and its hybrid successor

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/radione_r25t.html

This radio offers not only a built in mains transformer but also a transistorized DC/DC converter which obivated the anode battery
1st times I've read Australia and I wondered how come portable tube radios with F.M. in 1957 since in Australia F.M. camed only in 1975.
But it was Austria. The radio had 5 or 6 tubes for radio frequency as I can see. Most had only 4. How did it worked on radio? And what F.M. frequency range it had?
Audiokarma
Old 05-25-2019, 04:21 PM
I love old stuff

Oh, it's 88-100 M.Hz. (M.c.).
I wondered if for Europeanen domestic market some one produced F.M. 88-108 M.Hz. portable tube radios. The Swedish produced some F.M. 88-108 tube radios for it's market, but I could'nt find out if they made portable tube radios with that band.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

An FM tube portable..... I could get into that!

I've got an early 60s Zenith tube clock radio that does FM quite well, It's on my desk at work.

Other FM/tube sets I have are consoles. The first one is a Zenith AM/FM with a V-M Cobramatic record changer from 1950. Uses the Armstrong type circuit. The second one is the Philco 42-390 cabinet with a 42-380 chassis with a Pilot FM tuner rigged to it
Old 05-28-2019, 09:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Oh, it's 88-100 M.Hz. (M.c.).
I wondered if for Europeanen domestic market some one produced F.M. 88-108 M.Hz. portable tube radios. The Swedish produced some F.M. 88-108 tube radios for it's market, but I could'nt find out if they made portable tube radios with that band.
I remember seeing a German AM-SW-FM portable radio in the mid-50's. The cabinet was wood and plastic construction.
I asked to see the inside and it was all tube and used an odd-ball battery pack of German with a 103 volt "B" section.
This was at the Olson Radio store in downtown Milwaukee.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:27 PM
I love old stuff

Intresting memory.
But by chance, do you remember the price?
Old 05-29-2019, 07:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Intresting memory.
But by chance, do you remember the price?
IIRC, it was well over $100.00 USD back then!
I was only 12 or 13yrs old at the time. I was there picking up some small parts to complete a project that was in an a Popular Electronics or similar magazine back then.
Audiokarma
Old 05-30-2019, 02:54 AM
I love old stuff

100 U.S.D. Ui! Like 1,000-1,300 U.S.D. in today's money. Not cheap, but more affordable then to an Romania... think that avarage (not minimal) wage (sallary) around here is 500-800 Dollars (in big cities).
Old 05-30-2019, 09:01 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, and would the typical Romanian even be able to HAVE a fancy radio/TV back in the days of the Comecon bloc? We've heard-at least I have- That you guys weren't allowed to have lots of "Western items", because the Reds didn't want you picking up western TV/radio stations.They also used different frequencies, used PAL & SECAM, where we just had NTSC-"Never Twice The Same Colour" things like that. I think, honestly, BOTH sides used jamming quite often. I, for one, would have LOVED to have had a few of the examples of Soviet high-end hi-fi & radios. Over on AK, a few years back, somebody posted some pics & specifications of a little bit of it all. I think I can say that almost ANYONE would have been DELIGHTED to have some of it.....
Old 05-31-2019, 08:06 AM
I love old stuff

Yes, we had F.M. 65-73 M.Hz.
Only formers Yougoslavia and Eastern Germany (G.D.R.) had F.M. 88-100 (G.D.R. 88-104 in the '80's). 1st because it wasn't in the Soviet Bloc and Eastern Germany because it introduced F.M. (U.K.W.) before the introduction of F.M. O.I.R.T. standard.
Radios could be modified to work on 65-73 M.Hz. (M.c.) in stad of 88-100, 88-104, 88-105, 88-108. But the where some nice Eastern-Europeanen radios with F.M. (I'm talking about the good recivers, 'cause there where the poor qualty ones too). Now you have to midify the O.I.R.T. F.M. ones, because Europeanen bastards made us quit F.M. O.I.R.T. F.M. took off in Romania only after 1989, with the arrival of private stations.
In 1973 that 3rd Program of State Radio becamed Radio 3 (Trei) România Tineret (Radio 3 Romania Youth). F.M. only. Online only in the '000's because there is a law stipulating that in F.M. one company could have only 3 national networks and they chosen another 3 stations... In the '80's Radio 3 România Tineret stoped broadcastign Western music... so you tuned to forgein stations. The Yougoslav had intresting programing...
In Romania, there was an expresion for when a rumor was spreding fast: A emite pe ultrasucrte = To broadcast on ultrashort [waves]. F.M. is also called ultrascurte in Romania. The German U.K.W. (Ultra Kurtz Welle) means also U.S.W. Same Czech V.K.V. or Russian Y.K.B. (readen U.K.V.).

The East-Germans where the only ones from the Soviet Bloc to make portable tube radios with F.M. Ha, on the other hand I never seen a British portable tube radio with F.M... 1-0 for the Commies. Anyway, from the Capitalist countries only Western-Germany and Holland made nice radios... maybe the Swedish had some (oh, the Swedes and the Italians where the only one to make some domestic tube radios with F.M. 88-108... not top radios, but I want one; the Italians made only 2 models when F.M. was introduced, but after that they made those stupid 88-100 ones).
But the Czehoslovakian "Tesla" made 2 nice auto radios with F.M. (I don't know if there was an export version with C.C.I.R F.M.).
I hate the fact that they don't make any more 45, 90 or more Volts batteries. And 1.35 (the Zinc - Air 1,4 sucks and I can't find an adapter ring with voltage lowerig), 15 and 22.5 Volts ones, which where by far more common. Let them throw to junk theyr houses, I don't want to throw my apparatures.
P.S. in Romanian 22.5 Volts (twenty two and half Volts) is written 22,5 Volţi. So 1.000 = one thousand.

The tv sets that had varicap or electronic tuning where simple to modify if the worked on 625 line standard: just add filters for the 6,5 M.Hz. image - sound difference and you had sound (trough all that I heared some coulnt' be modified). My nickname had both C.C.I.R. and O.I.R.T. sound. And colour decoders wheren't a big deal...
In Romania we used P.A.L., not S.E.C.A.M. So officially Soviet imported colour tv sets had to be modify with a P.A.L. decoder. Former Yogoslavia also used P.A.L.

Last edited by Telecolor 3007; 05-31-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Somewhat related, I saw a Nice Philips-Merkur 473 on my local Craigslist, allegedly works, The FM only tunes to 100Mhz. Makes me wonder why they imported them. And I guess it works on 120 volts, maybe it has a universal primary winding?

Still debating picking it up. It's kinda expensive.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:41 AM
I love old stuff

The Europeanen radios where multivoltage in that era, because back then 220 Volts wheren't yet the standard. Some cities used 110 or 120 Volts. Oh, and some former Austro-Hungarian cities had 42 Hz up untill the '50's. Other could have some d.c. networks.
Can you post a link with that radio?
Probably they imported it as a novelty or something exotiq. Or just some one went to a trip in Europe and bought it, because it was a portable F.M. radio (or fellas don't make such stuff, we will boght from the ones who make it).
Audiokarma