Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Admiral 17T1 Cabinet Confusion

Admiral's 17T1 chassis came in two flavors: 17T11 and 17T12. As far as I know, the only difference is the cabinet style. The most common one is the "Chinese" with concentric squares for the grille. The other, I think, is the basket weave pattern, and I believe it is distinct from the "Checkerboard" grille on the 19A1 cabinets. I've seen pictures of the basket weave before, but I can't find any now.

My 17T1 is the "Chinese" type, and the label on the cabinet says "17T12." I've always assumed that the 17T12 is "Chinese" and the 17T11 is "basket weave." Does anyone know for sure which is which? And is there a picture somewhere of a 17T1 cabinet that's not "Chinese?" (Don't be fooled by 17T1 chassis in 19A1 cabinets.

Thanks,
Henry.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I may be wrong, but I think the 19A11 models had the checkerboard grill and the 19A12 models had the Chinese grill, and assume that the 17T models followed the same nomenclature. I believe that the Chinese grill modes are rare, compared to the checkerboard. Are you sure the basket-weave set is bakelite rather than wood?

My 19A11S is totally original and has the checkerboard grill (ch # 19A1-S-A, chassis stamped "J").

Is yours black or brown?

After digging my set out of the 7" "stack" to read the number, I decided to give it a quick variac power-up, and was pleasantly surprised that it is more or less functional after being dormant for at least 15 years. Good sound with slght hum, small picture.

It will get a re-cap before going back into the pile.

jr
Old 09-11-2017, 02:20 PM
RCA 741PCS

For sure the 19A1 models are as follows
19A11 = checkerboard brown
19A12 = checkerboard black (ebony)

I'm pretty sure the 17T1 models are similar
17T11 = Chinese brown
17T12 = Chinese black

The 19A1s were made in 1948-49 and the 17T1s only in 1949 and definitely less common.

I don't what the basketweave is unless the maple wood 19A15 as you speculated.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

That makes sense... thanks for the correction! Then all of the 17T models are "double D" ?

jr
Old 09-11-2017, 02:35 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post

After digging my set out of the 7" "stack" to read the number, I decided to give it a quick variac power-up, and was pleasantly surprised that it is more or less functional after being dormant for at least 15 years. Good sound with slght hum, small picture.

It will get a re-cap before going back into the pile.

jr
Wow! So that Admiral is still going on it's original caps? Impressive.

Is that a blond Motorola 21CT2M I see in the background?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 09-11-2017, 02:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Apparently the 'basketweave' is a figment of my recollection. I saw in somewhere in Bakelite, but not on these Admirals. My 17T12 is brown 'Chinese', and the reason I can't find a 17T11 with a different grill is, as Bob explained, there ain't none! (Except the 17T1 that Bob restored a few years ago, but it was actually in a 19A1 cabinet.)

Now that that's settled, I can move on to finding a universal cancer vaccine. Thanks much.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Wow! So that Admiral is still going on it's original caps? Impressive.

Is that a blond Motorola 21CT2M I see in the background?
Pretty much original caps except for HV caps, IIRC... got the set during my "poor starving young engineer" days (early 70s), doubt if I spent much money on parts to get it going. It will hit the bench in a week or so, so we will see what I replaced.

21CT2B for blond, it unfortunately does not have the original 21AXP22A jug.

jr
Old 09-11-2017, 02:57 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky Dink View Post
Apparently the 'basketweave' is a figment of my recollection. I saw in somewhere in Bakelite, but not on these Admirals.
Perhaps your recalling this bakelite basketweave grille Silvertone radio?
https://www.kerstensantiques.com/sil...ars-roebuck-co
They are nice looking radios mine is probably somewhere in the top 10 longest owned radios in my collection.....It may need a re-recaping before it leaves.

Might be interesting to take a cabinet from a derelict example that radio, shoehorn a CRT in behind the dial and build a tube based chassis to drive it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-11-2017, 03:28 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
That makes sense... thanks for the correction! Then all of the 17T models are "double D" ?

jr
Yes, I believe so. Seems that 1949 was the year "double D" took over.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Pretty much original caps except for HV caps, IIRC... got the set during my "poor starving young engineer" days (early 70s), doubt if I spent much money on parts to get it going. It will hit the bench in a week or so, so we will see what I replaced.

jr
Well, the set hit the bench today... looks as if I actually replaced a fair number of caps when I repaired it, still many original left to replace, surprised it made a picture when I tested it.

jr
Audiokarma
Old 09-20-2017, 05:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Well, the set hit the bench today... looks as if I actually replaced a fair number of caps when I repaired it, still many original left to replace, surprised it made a picture when I tested it.

jr
That is amazing. At this point in time usually every single paper cap has to be replaced to see a decent picture on the screen. Years back I did find a mahogany Motorola VT-71 with a good original mask and working acceptably on ALL original caps! No signs of any service. The friend/repairman I got it from tried to talk me into leaving it as-is, but I wanted it working as well as possible, and had him recap it. Things were made so well in the old days!
Old 09-21-2017, 08:44 AM
RCA 741PCS

I can see all the paper HV caps have been replaced with ceramic. Those are often the first to go. I think that's a replacement electrolytic can up top too. Even so, yes amazing it's working as well as it is.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I also noticed that the paper .01 caps in the integrator network and vertical have been replaced with ceramic diskcaps... they seem to be doing the job, because sync is rock solid... I think that I will leave them alone. The previous owner (who IIRC, worked at Radio Shack) may have done some work, but the set was not operating when I got it... I clearly remember doing the HV caps.

jr