Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

The amp is actually pretty neat for being from the 1940s, check out how the output transformer and interstage transformer are connected to get some negative feedback around the 6L6s.

The speaker's field is also pretty unique, it's partly in series with the screen and oscillator current, and partly in parallel with the low voltage part of B+.

If I remove the parallel part, the rating of the filter capacitors is exceeded during turn on. No problem with the original speaker but that could fry some tweeters for sure if it isn't dealt with.

I also have to figure out what they were doing in terms of hum cancellation... The amp is dead quiet, and with small capacitors and a fairly small filter choke that's sure no accident.

Another issue is the RF oscillator for the exciter lamp tends to pollute all the audio circuits with RF.

What I really need to do is figure out how to get a clean line out, out of it, to send to my main sound system.

http://theused.com/wp-content/upload..._1966_1969.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170809-102716.jpg (97.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by maxhifi; 08-09-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Update:

After some time finding films, optimizing the setup, learning the basics of projector and film maintenance and watching movies, I have to say that 16mm movies are an expensive but worthwhile hobby... Seeing a movie on the silver screen at home, is very satisfying, and very much unlike watching a video display.

It's also interesting from a collector point of view, because acquiring feature movies takes some resourcefulness. It's also almost mind blowing what sort of image quality a 70 year old machine can produce, relative to how much tech is necessary to get something similar out of video! The Achilles heal is sound, it definitely isn't awful, but the quality is out of step with image quality.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi
Does anyone here run 16mm movies at home? I have a decent home theatre, but the recent change over from film to digital in commercial theatres has left me feeling that I can't see a movie properly anywhere anymore, and I want to try running film at home.
I hear ya buddy!!

Just dont give up your love for analogue -- you know how beautiful it is
Old 10-21-2017, 12:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

The newer the projector the more quiet it gets , the 1500 series bell and Howell ones are a lot more quiet than the early bell and Howells like the 179 , 200 and 300 series , plus the lamp has more brightness , then there's the Elmo that's even more quiet and newer eiki projectors , all with smaller but brighter lamps .
As far as features or shorts or tv shows eBay or keep looking on Craigslist
Old 10-26-2017, 03:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramden66 View Post
The newer the projector the more quiet it gets , the 1500 series bell and Howell ones are a lot more quiet than the early bell and Howells like the 179 , 200 and 300 series , plus the lamp has more brightness , then there's the Elmo that's even more quiet and newer eiki projectors , all with smaller but brighter lamps .
As far as features or shorts or tv shows eBay or keep looking on Craigslist
Wow I missed this response entirely!

Since I last posted I picked up a Graflex 815, as part of a big lot of movies and shorts. It needs restoration, but looks like quite a nice machine. It's quieter and brighter than the DeVry, but less "cool". The film path is filthy, amplifier needs to be rebuilt, and it needs a new belt. For now just using it to rewind.

Have been happy with the DeVry though, with a 2" lens it now sits 30 feet back from the screen, and noise is no longer a concern. Brightness is excellent.

I also wired the sound into my Klipsh La Scalas, on either side of the screen, and there's now no shortage of volume or clarity!

I got myself a perf-o-fix machine, and have been repairing sprocket damage, and have become proficient at splicing film with cement. Even learned how to make my own cement by dissolving film scraps into acetone. Still need a pair of hand rewinds, but that will be soon enough. Also want to get a tape splicer eventually but they're expensive.

The DeVry is cleaned, lubricated, and adjusted to within an inch of its life, and I've got a nice sharp picture and clear sound all the time now.

I've got about 6 or 7 feature movies now, a couple 15 chapter serials, and a whole load of shorts, as well as educational films. It's cool how stuff seems to come out of the woodwork once you start looking for it.

Actually I just had a new movie show up last night, "American Hot Wax", my first colour feature.. am looking forward to screening it this weekend. Going to go through it first though, check all the old splices and perforations for damage. I think there's something special about watching a movie on film, an immediacy which isn't there with video. Or maybe just the level of effort you need to put into getting a film theatre set up is fairly high, and it makes me appreciate the movies more.

Last edited by maxhifi; 10-26-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2017, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Every so often I'll dig out a projector & play with it; it's been too long. Mostly I use a Bell+Howell from the late 70's for 16mm. I have a french door opposite of my screen in the living room & have thought about using that as a sound break. I'm not sure I have any full-length movies; maybe something old with a missing reel? Can't recall. Some interesting stuff, nonetheless.

I've told this story before, but: I once ran into a dumpster diver at the flea market. (Honest. He was selling, mostly, crumpled up boxes of snack cakes that he'd dug out of the trash-or trying to sell them, I should say!) He told me that the largest of our local libraries had tossed all their film, but not before having volunteers pull the reels apart with pliers and pull the film loose so nobody would take it. He mentioned rescuing an Bob Hope film. I wonder if any libraries still have them gathering dust in the back somewhere?
Old 10-27-2017, 02:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Bryan,

That's a great idea, I'm planning to put the projector in a separate room eventually, but I find that since I'm both the projectionist and the audience, it's easier if I can run to the projector and fix a bad perforation or bad splice without going to another room.

Some libraries still have 16mm but don't generally lend it out to the public. I'm joining a film association just to get access to their library, maybe something like this exists in your area too?

As for destruction of media, well, not the first time something like that has happened! It's always a fight to preserve the past.

-Max