Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cleaning my Marconi MK3 IO camera

G'day all.

A couple of months ago I posted a thread on my 1955 Marconi MK3 IO remote camera chain I got from an ex cameraman. I have since given this camera chain a thorough cleanup and have got it looking a lot better and have posted plenty of pictures and some documentation on my Marconi MK3 page on my website http://www.troysvintagevideo.741.com/marconimk3.html .

I have removed the majority of the dirt, dust, spiders, larvae shells etc. from the camera chain, there is still however stuck dirt on the chassis underneath the electronic components which is near impossible to get to even with ear buds especially on the camera control chassis. I wonder how do you guys tackle the problem of cleaning underneath components on a chassis wired up pre-PCB style?

I have also found some cables for the camera chain out of the big bags of cables that were given to me with the camera, one to note is the cable that links the PSU to the CCU.

Anyways that's the update so far on my Marconi MK3.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting pictures. Cleans up well, uses American tube designations in PSU ?
Looks like the Capacitors have been already replaced, I see Philips polyester & Elna electrolytics so it should be fine !
Old 04-22-2011, 05:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice work on cleaning up the camera. The units are looking quite good after their clean. I notice some mods here and there and also some component replacements.

Reading through your comments at the end of the pictures, I would not recommend replacing components just because of their age. For a start, most of the capacitors I've seen are Philips polyester (mustard) types which have a reputation for high reliability. The resistors are easily enough measured as well and most should be in tolerance.

The PSU looks like it has already been recapped at some stage. The Elna can electrolytics must be very late 1960's or more likely 1970's vintage. I'd try reforming them before attempting replacement. Electrolytics can often be put back into service after years of disuse with some careful attention and will save you a LOT of money if they can be reformed.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

SN Number

Where do you find the Camera SN Number on a Mrk111 please ?I noticed on your Cameras View finder it has vents ,does this mean its a early model ?