Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Old video camera

Usually I am a fan of old vidicon cameras from the 70's. RCA CC001, CC002, GBC, etc. But a Mattel Vidster digi camera came home from the Goodwill. Vintage 2005. It is a kids camera just past the Fisher Price cassette BW camera.

A dual function still/video effort. And not much of an effort. It jumps around in the auto iris and color balance, ending on mostly a blue condition. The video side is 320x240 and not good at that. Still pics are similar. Very low res and the same blue. Not sure of the full still specs. It can only go to a 512mb SD chip. I had one in the junk pile.

The video side seems to use a center cut of the full chip as it is magnified. Probably to save space. Saving it to rent to a hipster video producer needing vintage video. Any others out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Vid1.jpeg (85.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg Vid2.jpeg (103.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Vid 3.jpg (89.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 03-18-2021, 08:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got way too many camcorders, but my main project is a JVC GY-X2B S-VHS professional camera that I'm in the process of retrofitting a modern "V-mount" battery to.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting little camera. I've never seen one before.
The still pic looks like it's from a era correct cell phone.
The closest that I have is one of these.
Same color, except I buffed out the lame race car and speedo on it. I got it in 2011 for about $30 new.

I like it for certain shots in direct sunlight as it has a warm 8mm film feel to the video when its re-recorded onto VHS and viewed on CRT.
It also defaults to a blueish tint in lower lighting.
640X480 video
1.3 MP stills if i recall.

Does yours have ntsc A/V outputs?
Old 04-02-2021, 05:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tube TV...yes it does have a 1/8" jack for A/V and a USB connection. Pic is a still in 320x240 on my Sony 13". Lines are moire conflict. More blue than actual. The real pic is not good enough for a kid even in 2005.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg vidster.jpeg (111.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Dave A; 04-02-2021 at 05:57 PM. Reason: more info below.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tube TV...yes it does have a 1/8" jack for A/V and a USB connection. Pic is a still in 320x240 on my Sony 13". Lines are moire conflict. More blue than actual. The real pic is not good enough for a kid even in 2005.

I do have the GIMP freeware photo editor that has a color curve function that does great on removing the blue in the dark areas. Video correction is for something better than I have.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Those early digital camcorders are a step up from the classic 1980's Fisher Price kids B/W cassette camcorder.Got two of those PXL2000's here..

Had a cheap tiny digital camcorder .Cant think of the name but it begins with a 'A'.

Seen those Jazz camcorders at Walmart years ago.Should of grab one for the heck of it..Love the color of that Jazz camcorder.

My Eclipse 180 Pro MP3 player has a camcorder feature which is the same resolution 320x240 like those cheap camcorders..I got it at Sears around 2016 for around $30 bucks .Some places still carry this model today..Their MP3 only FitClip is great to just bang around with it..

Never seen the camcorder in the OP.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen and recycled so many Chinesium digital video cameras I can't tell anymore which ones are truly relics of 15 years ago and what isn't upselling the crap out of itself but is doing really jank things like upscaling, using really terrible CCD's or eye-bleeding bad optics.

They remind me of those super cheap pinhole cameras that get dressed up to like a really fancy and expensive 3500 SLR camera. Bleh!
Old 06-16-2021, 01:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
That looks bad even on CRT. Sometimes viewing on CRT mellows out the pixels and jitter in the video.
Neat novelty none the less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I've seen and recycled so many Chinesium digital video cameras I can't tell anymore which ones are truly relics of 15 years ago and what isn't upselling the crap out of itself but is doing really jank things like upscaling, using really terrible CCD's or eye-bleeding bad optics.

They remind me of those super cheap pinhole cameras that get dressed up to like a really fancy and expensive 3500 SLR camera. Bleh!
Lol 30 megapixels. Sure.
The lens they use in these is the same screw in ones they put in small surveillance cameras and web cams. One thing kind of neat with it is you can unscrew it and screw in a different lens for a different field of view.

They're really trying to hang onto Sony's shirttails with that design.

Last edited by Tube TV; 06-16-2021 at 01:48 PM.