Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sanyo short wave

new b here, hope i,m posting in correct area. Have a Sanyo RP-8880 short wave radio, made in the 70,s. It has am, fm, lw, mb, and four short wave bands. am and fm ok, but when in short wave mode can,t seem to pick anything up? cleaned and deoxt all switches, still no luck on the sw bands??
Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hmmm...you've done the right thing so far. Is there any noise at all on the bands? I would think if it works on AM it should work on SW. If it were me I'd probably play around with the band switch(es) a little more, and then try to isolate the part of the circuit responsible for those bands and look for bad caps. I would imagine this is closely related to the Sanyo-built Sears multiband radios. I have one and I know it has some flakiness to the switches.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

As I understand it the Sanyo 8880 is a complicated beast with double and triple conversion on some bands ( likely the triple conversion is used on the SW bands). if one of the local oscillators is not working, I suspect that could kill the SW only, while the other bands may function normally. This seems to be a common problem with this model.
Cool Radio! Pix below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sanyo8880.JPG (32.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 01-29-2011, 06:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

sanyo sw

Really appreciate the info guys, not 2 elect. inclined, but trying 2 learn. Old retired guy with nothing better 2 do! lol I wasen,t in a bad trade, but i sure wished i would picked 2 B an electriction!! lol thank,s again