Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Rockin' Kats

No Shortwave radio reception

I'm fairly new to trying to liston to shortwave radio broadcasts.. I havn't really been able to get anything in on either of the radios I have that are capable of SW reception.... just get static.. well the boombox does get something, but it's really faint and easily lost.

When I still lived in Oregon my parents had a huge antenna up over the garage that we NEVER used... now I wish we had one to see if that would make it any better, but stupid neighborhood ordinances have a ban placed on such things.(also dissallow window mounted AC and satalite dishes on street sides of houses)

I just wonder if there's anything I can do or if I'm just boned.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Peanut Head

You won't hear much during the day. Unless the radios have some sort of built-in antenna, you'll need at least 10' (preferably more) of wire to pick up something. I installed my longwire along the top roofline in my attic. 50' will get you quite a bit, including helping the AM broadcast band.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:24 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Let me know what kind of radio you're using.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Most everywhere from 4.5 MhZ to 10 MhZ-or MC- should offer good listening at night.There will be several places right in there that stations will literally on top of each other, other places where the radio will seem dead as a hammer...You;ll hear allsorts of strange sounds, incredibly distorted speech, & maybe even a Spanish woman rattling off numbers...Welcome to the wild, wacky world of shortwave. The strange sounds are likely to be hams talking to each other in Morse code, or some sort of some sort of encrypted data transmission, if it sounds "fast". The "Donald Duck" voices are hams again, talking to each other on sideband. The "numbers station" are purportedly spies receiving messages, altho OFFICIALLY no agency has ever confirmed this...We could tell you more, but we'd have to Terminate W/Extreme Prejudice...<grin>
Old 06-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Rockin' Kats

These are the two radios I have that are capable of SW reception:

JVC PC100 boombox
Columbia Portable(model?)

The Columbia radio has screws on back for external antennas.. the JVC boombox doens't, but I guess that couldn't keep me from hooking something up with aligator clips on the built in antenna?

At the moment someone is borrowing the columbia to liston to really bad music(well, ok, I just don't like what they like) on some FM station while they work on their car in the garage.
Audiokarma
Old 06-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Uhh, no disrespect intended, but neither one of those are very primo-type shortwave radios. Check out this for about the best one you can buy-and its a 50-yr-old tube design...www.r390a.com ....
Old 06-24-2006, 07:32 PM
tube gear fanatic

Quote:
Check out this for about the best one you can buy-and its a 50-yr-old tube design...www.r390a.com ....
i have sandy many times

real radios glow in the dark...
Old 06-24-2006, 07:35 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Unfortunately, as Sandy mentioned, those are not very good radios for shortwave listening. The Columbia would the the better of the two. Attach a piece of wire (10 feet will do fine) to the SW antenna connection, and attach another piece of wire to the G (Ground) connection, and connect the G wire to a cold water pipe.

Wait until later in the evening, 10 pm or so, and tune around 5.9 to 6.2 MHz. Whatever you hear is what you're capable of hearing with that radio.

Good luck!
Clay
Old 06-24-2006, 08:55 PM
DTV blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPsycho
I'm fairly new to trying to liston to shortwave radio broadcasts.. I havn't really been able to get anything in on either of the radios I have that are capable of SW reception.... just get static.. well the boombox does get something, but it's really faint and easily lost.

When I still lived in Oregon my parents had a huge antenna up over the garage that we NEVER used... now I wish we had one to see if that would make it any better, but stupid neighborhood ordinances have a ban placed on such things.(also dissallow window mounted AC and satalite dishes on street sides of houses)

The FCC has made it quite clear that you CAN put up satellite dishes and local terrestrial television antennas as long as certain rules are met! In most cases the FCC regs overrule any others. Please go here:
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
for the straight poop. Note that longwires aren't covered, sad to say. But TV antennas and dishes ARE allowed!

Armed with the proper info, any neighborhood committee needs to prove to YOU that what they want overrules Uncle Sam!

Tom
Old 06-24-2006, 10:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPsycho

15 or 20 feet of any old wire strung behind the furnature in the room should be enough. Or string the wire thru the attic crawl space. You don't need to climb up into there, just tie a weigh of some sort to one end of the wire and toss it as far as you can (with the other end of the wire firmly tied to say a doorknob or such so it all doesn't sail into the attic!). I did that in apartments I rented to set up crude ham radio transciever shortwave antennas. Worked well enough for me to talk to someone in Antartica one day. Transmitters are much more fussy about antennas than receivers are...
Audiokarma
Old 06-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, My stuff has an 80' wire strung out to yon tree on the far side of my lot, but, I also have a wire strung about 3/4 of the way around the ceiling, & quite frankly, it works ALMOST as well...
Old 06-25-2006, 01:52 AM
Rockin' Kats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Uhh, no disrespect intended, but neither one of those are very primo-type shortwave radios. Check out this for about the best one you can buy-and its a 50-yr-old tube design...www.r390a.com ....
I wasn't assuming they were. They're just all I have. The boombox cost me $7 and the columbia radio cost me $5. Most of my audio gear... well ok, all of my audio gear was bought at thrift stores and garage sales. I've never bought any peice of electronic equipment other than my main computer and a very *very* small percentage of my video games new.... I tend to go for old stuff and get it repaired when nessesary.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:00 AM
Rockin' Kats

Well, I went through the boxes on my dad's workbench and found a big tangle of cheap speaker wire so I thought I'd just try to rig something temporary up to see if I could get anything

After I spent an hour with one end of the cable tied to the door handle of my car while I pulled the other end through loops and nots in the drive way I got it all neatly wrapped around a spool I found in the same box. Then I cut off about 35 feet or so... and another 6 feet....I took radio and put it in the window of an upstairs room... hooked the ground pin up to the screw on an electrical face plate with the 6 foot wire... hooked up the 35 foot cable to the SW screw and push-pinned(yeah, this is the high life here) it up the wall to the ceiling, around the room to the door, and along the hall untill the cable ran out...

When I turned the radio on I got lots of weird noises(which is more than what I got with no wire)... and that's about it.

I obviously am going to have to put more effort(...and more money...) into this if I'm going to get anywhere with this.

[edit]I just went and tried again.... I got some stuff... all in foreign languages... I think mostly spanish. I also found that if I keep my hand on the top of the radio, it sounds better, but that makes me tired standing there. .... there was one really odd one... I heard some lady talking but then there was this really deap moaning voice mixed in.[/edit]

Last edited by Rockin' Kat; 06-25-2006 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:06 PM
AK Member

[QUOTE=SuperPsycho]I obviously am going to have to put more effort(...and more money...) into this if I'm going to get anywhere with this.

Nah, I've found many very capable portable and tabletop short waves at the thrift and flea markets in the 2-10 dollar range. Once you get the hang of knowing which bands are open at which time of day, you will find lots to listen to.

A full coverage receiver is best, usually 1.5 to 30Mhz, Radio Shack sold a ton of them in the 70's and 80's. Digital readout is helpful for the beginner, my first serious radio was a Realistic DX440. Most of the cheaper portables leave out large chunks of the band leaving not much more than the standard european broadcast bands - kinda boring.

The only antenna I am able to have here is a 30 ft. wire clamped to my balcony - it works fine, though not as good as a proper long wire.

Good luck, have fun

-Dave

Last edited by Avocado Dream; 07-17-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, the DX-440 is a FINE radio...A Sony 2010 is another very good one, but they tend to get a little pricey... The Grundig Yacht Boy series are pretty good, & you might luck up & run acrost a Drake SW-8. Kenwood also makes SW stuff, a basic set of theirs is an R-600. I had an R-5000 several years back, & in certain ways I liked it better than the R-390As. An ICOM R-71 is a good SW set, along w/their R-7000, you can almost have "DC to Daylight" coverage. The R-7000 makes an EXCELLENT FM DXing set...