Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Born in the wrong decade

need diagram

I just bought a philco AC/DC battery set model 41-842 code 121. So I get it home and it is missing the speaker. OK, the output trans. is there and I have a speaker to fit. I flip the chassis over and notice that there is no band switch. The dial shows two bands 190 to 545 and then 550 to 1700. There are only two knobs;off/on volume and tuning. So, where is the bandswitch? there does not seem to be anything missing, a couple of electro's have been replaced and one paper cap has one end cut so I will have to figure out where it goes. I went to nostalgiaair but they do not have the diagram. I looked up model 42-482 and it looks close, it has the same tubes and it shows a wafer switch for the bands, mine does not have extra wires going nowhere or an open spot anywhere to put a switch in. I really need a diagram or a Sam's number.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Radio Nut,

I don't see the 41-842 listed on Nostalgia Air. Sams did not come out until after the war, about 1946 I think. I can look in my 1941 Philco yearbook when I get home to see if it has a schematic. My guess about the 190 to 545 on your dial is that is the wavelength of the corresponding frequency on the AM broadcast band. When one end is of the pointer is pointing to 550, the other end should be pointing toward 545. When tuned to 1700 Kc the opposite end of the pointer should be showing about 175. Many AM only radios in the late 1930s and early 1940s had dials that show both the frequency and wavelength.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Born in the wrong decade

Well, on second glance it does say meters down at the bottom. I personally have not seen that before, thanks. Let me know what you come up with on the diagram. I have had to guess before on radios that diagrams could not be found but I really do not like it. I had a beautifull Grunow that half of the caps had values and the others only part numbers. I did get it going but I just do not feel "good" even if it works well. Maybe it would have performed better if all cap values were accurate.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:37 AM
AK Member

41-842 is located in Rider's Volume 12 on Philco page 98. It is also found in Beitman's volume 4 (1941) on page 116.

You might want to download Scott Harvey's free Universal Schematic Locator:

http://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/r...s/service.html

While it won't totally replace the individual indexes it does come in handy as a quick look-up at times for schematics found in Beitman's, Rider's, and Sam's, although I have no idea how thorough it is.

John
Old 09-22-2009, 01:51 PM

Found (I think) at Tech Preservation. Attached is a lower res version.

http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/s...ics/Philco.htm

The files are encoded in a DJVU format so you may need some software to convert.

If it's the right one PM me with your e-mail and i can send you the high res version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41_Philco_41-842_116.jpg (121.9 KB, 13 views)
Audiokarma
Old 09-22-2009, 01:57 PM

What might be useful is a summary 'sticky' of schematic sources and tools like the schematic locator John has (I'll have to grab a copy of it).

Maybe just a one message forum entry. Maybe condensed from Radio Links sticky?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have two pages from the 1941 Philco RMS yearbook scanned. This has thorough alignment info, a parts list, and component layout as well as the schematic. Send me a PM with your email and I will send it to you.