Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 PM
jigga18

Are The Old GE Performance TV's worth anything?

I was going through my shed and I have this 'GE Performance' TV,
color red.
It's small,
I'm guessing a 13' inch screen.
I think it's a late 60's early 70's model.
Are those type of TV's worth anything or is it scrap?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Sometimes brightly colored sets can bring a few bucks from the Retro Decorating crowd, as for collecting I think the Performance series was from the late 70's early 80's and probably not worth much to the TV collector crowd.

There is at least one person here at least who collects the little 12" sets from that era but they are not a high dollar item at this point.

Can you post a picture of it?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:37 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

I have a 12" B&W "Performance Television" from 1978. It is all transistor in a yellow and black cabinet. I like these sets because they are well built and really do work good. They are not worth a lot of money but are definitely worth saving. I have a weakness for these little 12" black and white sets. When I was a kid, every household had at least one and usually several throughout the 1970s and '80s. Please post a picture.

Last edited by compucat; 09-22-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

The "performance television" badge was applied to most GE TV's, both color and B&W, from the late '70's-early '80's. Some of the TV's in this series were actually decent performers and some were junk; but, they would be worth nothing to the average person and very little to a TV collector. I have a 12" XB chassis B&W GE performance television that someone on here gave me and I usually pick up TV's from this time period, if they are clean and the price is right ($0-$15). Some of the colored cabinet TV's sometimes get the attention of collectors; but, they don't bring a lot of money.

I will tell you that many TV's from this era are good performers and are built better than much of the crap made today. If it still works good, you may wish to keep it and use it.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey every body the GE performance set was a good tv at the time I used to sell those at my flea market back in the early 90s. maybe 1 day they will be worth something keep up the collecting..
Audiokarma
Old 02-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Motorola Minion

Regarding "Performance Television"
The all-time record for solder consumption was probably for the "griplets" - rivets that connected top PCB foil traces to bottom traces.

A variety of intermittent issues were all due to incomplete factory wave soldering.

It was standard protocol to PERFORM this procedure on all the sets coming into the shop. I got it down to 15 minutes after doing what seemed like hundreds of them!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:59 AM
jigga18

thanks for the info.
here is a pic of it by the way
Old 02-04-2012, 09:08 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

That WAS a nice set. Too bad the cabinet is damaged. Those sets do have a good picture when working right and they have a real vintage look with the rounded corners.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

That looks like a first generation AA chassis set that is known as the unofficial "porta color III". That set has the same tuning knobs as the last tube type portacolors.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

GE tv

I have one of these sets too in woodgrain. My folks bought it from where I worked that handled GE and Sylvania. It was in 77 and it had the first generation AA chassis in it. Still works to this day and very little service I did to it. A cap failed in the horiz circuit and ate the output transistor too. Great little pic on it.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

i have a little ge woodgrain color tv like that, i like the small early color tv's ,im always looking for them.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
That looks like a first generation AA chassis set that is known as the unofficial "porta color III". That set has the same tuning knobs as the last tube type portacolors.
That's no color set - most of the AA and AB chassis in the 13" had three controls down below the CRT. That looks like an XB chassis set, or later.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 09-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
That's no color set - most of the AA and AB chassis in the 13" had three controls down below the CRT. That looks like an XB chassis set, or later.

Cheers,
PS to the OP - if you decide to restore it, the cabinet is a "high-mix" ABS that doesn't take most glues readily.

Also, as to knobs, gimme the model number and I can produce a minty set of knobs for your set, if you choose to restore it. Benefits of livin' near the old Portsmouth plant - lots of spares to be had in the 90's....

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!