Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-23-2004, 11:03 AM
AK Member

Power Cord Replacement Dos & Don'ts?

While I have accumulated quite a few table top tube radios from the '40s & '50s, I have never replaced a power cord on one (even though I have several that need new ones) ... any do's and don'ts? ... or a link that details the process? ...
Old 06-26-2004, 03:20 PM
AK Member

Hi Chip,

Replacing the line cord on a vintage radio is a fairly straightforward process, assuming you have basic mechanical and soldering skills. Generally speaking, just attach the new cord at the same points as the old.

When replacing a line cord, some restorers like to address the inherent safety issues of the basic "All American 5" hot-chassis design by installing a polarized plug. This is a fairly complex issue, sometimes controversial, but one that you might want to consider if you have little ones about. There is a very good discussion of this subject at Phil's Old Radios.

All of the above assumes that you do not have one of those "resistance" line cords that were sometimes used on very early radios.

Paula

Last edited by Paula; 06-26-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:46 PM
AK Member

Might I add:
Most old tabletop radios I have worked on just tie a knot in the power cord to retain it in the back panel, but some might have a nylon Heyco retaining clip. These are removed by compressing them with a pliers while pulling them out. Most can be reused, but you must make sure your replacement cord is the same thickness and width. If you need to replace one, McMaster-Carr should have them.

"No choice for sugar, but what choice could there be,
But to drown in coffee, or drown in tea?"
Old 06-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have a '35 Emerson that has one of those resistor cords- gets hot as a firecracker very fast. Obviously,I barely ever "play" this set- basically for "show"only. Product liability laws must have been non-existant back then. - Sandy G.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:14 PM
AK Member

Thanks ... Paula and Warren ... for the info ...
Audiokarma