Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:54 PM
AK Member

Grundig 3295 Ph/Stereo Tuner Problem

I had this posted in Audio-Karma under Tube Gear - but this is probably the right place (cosidering I got zero responses)

This is my latest project (can't seem to help myself).

This is a Grundig Tube table top radio with turntable (top lid opens to reveal turntable). The cosmetics are in really nice shape (9/10).

My problem is with the tuner dial assembly. These radio's had one tuner dial to operate both bands. Band selection buttons moved the tuner section to utilize one of the two tuner's. I've read that it is like a clutch mechanism. I've attached some pictures.

Turning the tuner dial only turns the flywheel and neither of the tuners. Band buttons move the tuner assembly so I think that is working fine.

There is a rubber section that obviously needs replacing.

Does anyone have any experience repairing these tuner's? I can't find any schematics or parts list anywhere.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Audio Karma 029.jpg (65.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Audio Karma 030.jpg (62.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Audio Karma 016.jpg (62.4 KB, 12 views)
Nitty Gritty Mini-Pro 2
Klipsch Quartets, Michael Green Design Rev#60
Pioneer H-R100, AKAI GX-265D
Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM
AK Member

I thought I would answer my own question for the sake of anyone else in this dilema.

The part that I thought was a worn rubber washer was in fact the device which engages the turning shaft to either of the two tuning dials which wrap around the shaft on a pair of pulley's (one AM and one FM).

I removed this broken "rubber washer" which turned out to be a hard composite material with a gripping surface on both sides (to grip the tuning dial pulley on either side). The clutch mechanism pushes it against the appropriate pulley).

This "rubber washer" was spinning freely on the tuning shaft and this was the problem.

A rubber gasket was cut to size - center drilled slightly smaller than the shaft diameter and carefully cut to the drilled hole - then slid into place (tight on the shaft). I then glued the cut closed (with contact cement and small vice grips).

I decided to cut the rubber gasket so I could slide it into position versus taking the entire mechanism apart and sliding it onto the shaft (which would have been the better way to go for those handy enough).

Now it works as designed - the rubber surface of the gasket catches either tuning dial pulley as the clutch mechanism is engaged.
Nitty Gritty Mini-Pro 2
Klipsch Quartets, Michael Green Design Rev#60
Pioneer H-R100, AKAI GX-265D