Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If you have 2 30-32MFD 50V polarized caps you can MAKE a 16MFD 25V non-polar(Bi-Polar) out of them....Just connect both positives together and use the negative leads to connect to the circuit, or connect the positives together and connect the negatives to the circuit.
OK I see, Well I'll see what the ol' Radio Shack has as far as 30-32 MFD 50v Polarized Caps go.

Well I looked and I didn't see any capacitors that were in the 30-32 MFD 50v Range I'll just use the 10 MFD 50 Volt Non-polar crossover caps that they have at radio shack, as they are still within the original specs and the voltage is higher than the original which will make it operate a lot better than the original.

Last edited by Captainclock; 08-10-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:02 PM
Banned

Well I replaced the final coupling cap in the amplifier and sure enough the noises went away completely on the Magnavox and it plays perfectly now.
I was playing an old Harvest album on the record player and the electric bass notes were going extremely low on one of the songs on the album and the audio this stereo was producing was so good that it was quite literally making my walls and ceiling in my basement rattle to the beat of the song and the stereo wasn't even touching the wall or anything.

Anyways I had picked up the 10 MFD crossover caps at Radio Shack (or what I thought were the 10 MFD crossover caps) but when I got them home and went to install them I got a look at them and they turned out to be regular polarized electrolytic capacitors but when I installed them I didn't realize it until it was too late but what's weird is that the capacitors didn't explode or anything and they actually seem to be working at filtering the high and low frequencies like a regular crossover cap would, so would it do any harm to run this stereo with polarized caps in the crossover or should I actually go back to radio shack and get the actual crossover caps and put them into the speakers?
Old 08-14-2015, 11:12 PM
M is for Memory

If they are getting reverse polarity such as DC bias in the output or from half the audio waveform it may eventually detonate, short or open the cap....I'd either switch to non-polar caps or if there is DC bias there above the peak AC of the speaker system (unlikely) make sure the polarity is correct for that.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-15-2015, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If they are getting reverse polarity such as DC bias in the output or from half the audio waveform it may eventually detonate, short or open the cap....I'd either switch to non-polar caps or if there is DC bias there above the peak AC of the speaker system (unlikely) make sure the polarity is correct for that.
Ok, I'll check into swapping them out for non-polar caps, I still have the packaging that the caps came in, even though I soldered them into the circuit already do you think they might accept a return on them if I straighten them out enough and clean enough of the solder off of them?
Old 08-15-2015, 06:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Home Depot had and may still have capacitors for ceiling fans. You might be able to get enough to create the desired value, non-polarized.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Home Depot had and may still have capacitors for ceiling fans. You might be able to get enough to create the desired value, non-polarized.
Well I know that Radio shack has some capacitors like what I need I think what I did was just grabbed the wrong ones by accident.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Well I know that Radio shack has some capacitors like what I need I think what I did was just grabbed the wrong ones by accident.
I don't think, RS is the place to try and source these caps.
I don't remember having to replace non-polarized crossover caps. Start hitting the streets on trash day for discarded ceiling fans, or maybe the thrifts.
Another thought is, look for discarded speakers that have rotted surrounds. Depends on the make, some have real impressive crossover networks.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I don't think, RS is the place to try and source these caps.
I don't remember having to replace non-polarized crossover caps. Start hitting the streets on trash day for discarded ceiling fans, or maybe the thrifts.
Another thought is, look for discarded speakers that have rotted surrounds. Depends on the make, some have real impressive crossover networks.
Well Radio Shack was where I had sourced some non-polar crossover caps for speakers in the past (not even 6 months ago I had sourced some for my 1967 Zenith X-960 Console for the crossover circuit in it (it has a horn tweeter, 2 4" midrangers and a 12" woofer for each channel and the horn tweeter was where the crossover caps were located at and I just replaced them with new 4.7 MFD 50 Volt Non-Polar Crossover caps from Radio Shack, but for some reason when I went to visit them the other day they didn't have any crossover caps available in the store (although they were listed online as being available) so my guess is that either they're making the crossover caps an online only item or someone was recapping a bunch of speakers over the weekend and bought out all of their Crossover cap stock. Either way I just hit them at a bad time.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Well Radio Shack was where I had sourced some non-polar crossover caps for speakers in the past (not even 6 months ago I had sourced some for my 1967 Zenith X-960 Console for the crossover circuit in it (it has a horn tweeter, 2 4" midrangers and a 12" woofer for each channel and the horn tweeter was where the crossover caps were located at and I just replaced them with new 4.7 MFD 50 Volt Non-Polar Crossover caps from Radio Shack, but for some reason when I went to visit them the other day they didn't have any crossover caps available in the store (although they were listed online as being available) so my guess is that either they're making the crossover caps an online only item or someone was recapping a bunch of speakers over the weekend and bought out all of their Crossover cap stock. Either way I just hit them at a bad time.
I bought some here http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/compare_capacitors

e , designed some crossovers on their website.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I bought some here http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/compare_capacitors

e , designed some crossovers on their website.
Wow, some of those capacitors they sell are quite pricey!
Audiokarma
Old 08-20-2015, 08:52 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Wow, some of those capacitors they sell are quite pricey!
Only the best is barely good enough for the Audiophile nuts
Old 08-20-2015, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Only the best is barely good enough for the Audiophile nuts
Apparently, but with my budget I have to work with, my mom would flip her top if I would try to spend $50+ on capacitors when a simple $.30 capacitor is good enough for my purposes.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Try looking up some Teflon with silver foil caps, they can go into the hundreds of dollars for a single cap. That seems just a little over the top to me.

Gregb