Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:54 PM
TheUniversalDave1

My new Philco 40-180

I scored on the World's Longest Yard Sale the other day! I got this gem for only $30. The veneer is in excellent shape, the only thing I did was polish it with GOJO. It plays and sounds quite good considering I just got it home. I still have to fix the dial string, though.

Last edited by TUD1; 08-07-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
I scored on the World's Longest Yard Sale the other day! I got this gem for only $30. The veneer is in excellent shape, the only thing I did was polish it with GOJO. It plays and sounds quite good considering I just got it home. I still have to fix the dial string, though.
I has the metal dial bezel. The push buttons were the red crumbly plastic ones. The radio's nice enough to buy new repro buttons.
The set must've looked real sharp, when the push buttons were lit up by the dial light. They were somewhat translucent.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:11 AM
Motorola Minion

Ya did good on this one and got lucky too Compared to 41-42 Philco sets, only ONE condenser block is used in this chassis which should make recapping easy.

Just my 2c but the 84 rectifier tube should be replaced by two 600V rectifier diodes and a power resistor. Cheap insureance for your transformer.

I had to buy those wine-colored pushbuttons and an audio output transformer for a 40-195 I restored. Antique Radio Supply has those buttons and they do look nice lit up!.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Ya did good on this one and got lucky too Compared to 41-42 Philco sets, only ONE condenser block is used in this chassis which should make recapping easy.

Just my 2c but the 84 rectifier tube should be replaced by two 600V rectifier diodes and a power resistor. Cheap insureance for your transformer.

I had to buy those wine-colored pushbuttons and an audio output transformer for a 40-195 I restored. Antique Radio Supply has those buttons and they do look nice lit up!.
There is a new generation 84, that looks like a 6X5GT, but with the 5 pin base. They also made a 41, the same way.
I worked on one that looked like the transformer had been replaced. The previous tech changed the socket to use a 7Y4, instead.
The older couple, that owned it, bought it brand new and mentioned how much they paid for it and the store name.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:30 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
There is a new generation 84, that looks like a 6X5GT, but with the 5 pin base. They also made a 41, the same way.
I worked on one that looked like the transformer had been replaced. The previous tech changed the socket to use a 7Y4, instead.
The older couple, that owned it, bought it brand new and mentioned how much they paid for it and the store name.
The 1975 RCA tube book RC-30 equates tubes with same characteristics but differ in bases-pinouts 41=6K6, 42=6F6.
I think the odd numbered 1232 RF amp is same as a 7G7
Audiokarma
Old 08-11-2015, 12:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
The 1975 RCA tube book RC-30 equates tubes with same characteristics but differ in bases-pinouts 41=6K6, 42=6F6.
I think the odd numbered 1232 RF amp is same as a 7G7
I have a couple of Zenith branded 1232's. One has both numbers, 7G7/1232.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:43 PM
TheUniversalDave1

The rectifier installed in this radio is an 84/6Z4. I thought the only tube that should be replaced is the 6X5 in other radios. And I've also heard speculation that the later 6X5GT's are fine. I asked about this on the Philco Phorum, but nobody seems to care to reply.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Really nice score on that one, I have always liked that cabinet design. I was not aware of any issues with the 84 rectifier tube, I have a couple radios that use that tube. I don't play them very often so will leave them alone but be worth keep an eye on.

Gregb
Old 08-11-2015, 09:39 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Thanks, all of you. You folks seem to be more considerate than those of the Philco Phorum, I appreciate that. This Saturday, I'm going to take this radio to the AHRS and restring the dial cord and clean the controls. Possibly replace the electrolytics, if they haven't been already.