Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Philco Shortwave

Saw this unit at a garage sale today. I have no knowledge of this kind of equipment, and I don't really have a lot of interest in it, but I thought some of you might be interested.

It's a Philco shortwave receiver, might have other bands as well, not sure. The one date code I was even slightly comfortable with puts it at 1935. The owner said it was in a large console that had belonged to his grandfather. The grandfather gave it to the current owner (age mid 50s, I guess), who listened to it often as a teen. The owner's father wouldn't let him take the console and speaker many years ago, so only this survives. The large disc is amber in color, and has all the frequencies on it (didn't show up on my cell phone camera too well). There's also a ring of preset frequencies around the outside of the inner hub, he showed me how you set a pointer to the desired preset, and then turn the dial with a different linkage and it goes right to the desired frequency. Pretty cool. It has one broken tube.

If anyone has any interest, I'd be willing to purchase the unit and arrange for pick up or shipping, though I think it will be difficult to package well enough to survive long distance shipping.

Being that this isn't the "dollars and sense" forum, I can't ask about value. He had no price on it, I didn't ask, I don't think he knows anything about the market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0627091249.jpg (112.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Born in the wrong decade

I do not want it but I am really sure that Fair Radio in Lima, Oh. has a cabinet for that model. They got an offer they could not refuse on the chassis and sold only it. If this entices anybody call or e-mail them and ask for pics. Tell them Doug sent you in case I have to show them exactly which one it is.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Audiophool

Model 38-3 from 1938 is what I'm thinking - don't know if there were any other cabinets for that chassis... (from Radioattic.com)