Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nothing like a little Summer tropo to enhance reception! I suspect that you will not find these channels so easily in winter... 40 miles (or so) of the path is across water, so that helps as well! Good catch!
Fox 2 actually transmits on ch 7 so the old High band VHF problem rears its ugly head again.
The CBS channel transmits on ch 44 with decent power (but about 1/2 that of some of the Detroit stations)... perhaps another scan or two would have found it.

jr

Detroit FCC page:
http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...&slon2=&size=9

Last edited by jr_tech; 07-13-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: add FCC link
Old 07-13-2012, 02:41 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Nothing like a little Summer tropo to enhance reception! I suspect that you will not find these channels so easily in winter... 40 miles (or so) of the path is across water, so that helps as well! Good catch!
Fox 2 actually transmits on ch 7 so the old High band VHF problem rears its ugly head again.
The CBS channel transmits on ch 44 with decent power (but about 1/2 that of some of the Detroit stations)... perhaps another scan or two would have found it.

jr

Detroit FCC page:
http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...&slon2=&size=9
I live within one mile of Lake Erie, so I'm not a bit surprised that I was seeing the Detroit/Windsor DTV stations (except 2 and 67) as well as I was.

You are correct as to the Detroit/Windsor stations disappearing in winter, since most TV DX dries up once winter sets in. It was still winter when I received my ClearCast DTV antenna via FedEx last year, so all I was receiving were Cleveland stations and one station calling itself "CSCN" on channel 39, all with reception quality far exceeding my expectations. If not for the fact that I do not receive channels 8 and 19 OTA with this antenna, I would have canceled my cable shortly after the antenna arrived at my doorstep last year.

I will not be continuing my experiments with VHF high-band reception, however, after reading another post in this thread that stated I would need at least a five-element VHF antenna to receive channels 8 and 19, both of which are on VHF DTV channels. Because I live in an apartment building, outdoor antennas of any kind (except satellite dishes; go figure ) are forbidden, so my only recourse is either do without those two channels or keep my cable, the latter carrying all my area's local channels plus a few (quite a few) which I do not watch. I could not cancel my cable service if I wanted to, since it is part of a bundle from Time Warner Cable. There would be an early termination fee (well over $100, IIRC) charged to my cable bill if I were to cancel my cable at this time, even if I kept the other two services (Internet and home phone).

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
It was still winter when I received my ClearCast DTV antenna via FedEx last year, so all I was receiving were Cleveland stations and one station calling itself "CSCN" on channel 39, all with reception quality far exceeding my expectations.
Check your notes... I think that before you reported CSCN as ch 25.9, which we determined *was* a Cleveland station (audio only) for the visually impaired. (Cleveland Sight Center Network)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WVIZ

jr