Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-21-2004, 07:31 PM
On Land

60's NBC Peacock

I'm not sure where I posted it, but a while back i had mentioned the TV show American Dreams on NBC showing alot of vintage sets in a tv shop.

Tonight, I happened to stumble across the show again. Of course, they were still showing the same tv/appliance store with many sets operating. Portables, a Predicta, consoles, and even a mid-60's zenith color roundie (looked like it was one of the power-tuning models). They had a very good selection of various sets.

During the title/introduction of the program, I noticed that one of the things they show is a 60's version of the colored NBC peacock in full motion. I think it was one of the last things they showed during the intro. Was really cool looking.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:34 PM
Peanut Head

I remember that Peacock intro well. They showed it just before any color program. Funny thing though, there were a few times before showing a B&W movie that they'd have a funny little penguin intro. Remember this especially when they showed "A Hard Day's Night".

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here is a link to a good history of the peacock with downloads of each version for viewing. And a few other network logos also.

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/KARD_html/kard4.html

Dave
Old 11-22-2004, 04:46 AM
Banned

Small caveat...

You will need to be able to open Apple's QuickTime formats. I never had luck with the Apple download on ANY Windows based platform, 95 or 98, and it would vex me to no end because it was always suggested to get the premium version (sounds like REAL)? I cannot recall which one of the things I Googled I actually installed, but it worked then. How exciting...super slow mo of a peacock to see the frame sequence wears thin. The color footage of the Fred Astaire special you eventually see somewhere down the line if you follow it around ain't bad but it's TOO BRIEF. It's nostalgic eye candy...go for the rest of the stuff and then head over to Ed Reitan's site or even the Omnibus sites Farewell Analog or even better Jeff Miller's History of American Broadcasting Omnibus links . It wont get everything under the stars, but these will get almost anywhere you might hope go in your research of radio and television.

Remember, I also avoid Real like a disease, but the Europeans love it like there's no rhyme or reason as do other sites worldwide, yet I haven't found any multi-system AV browser that will play it and is FREE. UltraPlayer 2.112 ain't it. Not for .rm, .ram--nada. And you can't just archive version 8 and watch old stuff, no sir...you can't shut the update message off at all. 'Sides it's KRAP. All the content providers you can email either don't respond to your questions about MS or other players, or chime back that you are a bloody Bill Gates-loving BASTARD (so I ignore their sites).

Anyway the stuff about the TV station he visited IS pretty interesting...

Last edited by asynchronousman; 11-22-2004 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Editing? No, I swear I haven't touched a thing! Honest!
Old 11-22-2004, 03:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

NBC Color logos

The famous NBC Peacock logo was first hatched in 1956 as a still slide at the begining of each NBC color telecast. In 1957 a fully animated version was broadcast. The visual of the peacock unfolding his multi-colored feathers along with impressive orchestrated music and a very authoritive announcement "The following program is brought to you in living color on NBC." All designed to make black & white set owners feel like second rate boobs. An updated version, with new music, was introduced in 1962. Before the peacock, NBC used a still slide, colorized version of it's NBC chimes logo. The color chimes was first seen in late 1953 test color broadcasts. This logo can be seen on my web page in the CT-100 section.

http://community.webtv.net/stevetek/StevesCT100

Last edited by Steve D.; 11-22-2004 at 03:20 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-22-2004, 10:35 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

There is a local radio show here in Detroit on WXRK 97.1 FM that uses a sound-drop during the intro to their afternoon show, something like...

Ding........ ding...... dong do-do-do-diddy-do "The following CBS program is brought to you in color."

So appearently CBS had their own color chimes, not that it makes any sence on the radio.

(WKRK is an Infinity/Viacom station, thus the CBS connection. The talk show is HORRIBLE!!! Total crap-corporate-fluff that's supposed to be funny, but is little more than an obnoxious 45-y/o bimbo with a smoker's hack, acting like she's 15, over some wanna-be sports-jock who makes fart jokes.... And I'm no prude, I've only heard that intro 'cause the show comes on after Howard Stern (who I enjoy). It's almost fun to listen (In a train-wreck fashion) because the show gets so few callers that they've resorted to having interns call-in and become fake regular guests. Please let this show die as quickly as they previous three that came before it!)
Old 11-22-2004, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine
There is a local radio show here in Detroit on WXRK 97.1 FM that uses a sound-drop during the intro to their afternoon show, something like...

Ding........ ding...... dong do-do-do-diddy-do "The following CBS program is brought to you in color."

So appearently CBS had their own color chimes, not that it makes any sence on the radio.
One of our Clear Channel FM stations used to use a legal ID with a heterodyne squeal, some thing you would otherwise NEVER HEAR on an FM station? By the way, old radio soundbites are HUGE on FM now that satellite and juvenile crap dominate the airwaves...go figure.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

CBS "color chimes"

Carmine,

CBS like NBC had a series of color logos. From the 50's to early 60's they had several versions of still slides of the CBS eye logo with a multi-colored pupil. Insiders referred to this as the CBS "bloodshot" eye. In the mid 60's they created an animated announcement that featured the letters CBS which changed from black to red-blue-green with corresponding musical notes (chimes) as the letters changed to color. I think you can view this on the "kingoftheroad" site, url listed in Dave's posting above. ABC also had an animated color announcement during this time.

Steve

Last edited by Steve D.; 11-22-2004 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:35 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

I'm 32, so I can't really remember when they bothered to tell you when a TV show was in color. However, I can remember when the local TV guide would say "Color" or "BW".

Back around '85, one local UHF channel ran a two hour block of B&W shows: Addams Family, Twilight Zone, Leave It To Beaver and Beverly Hillbillies. I don't think they could do that today, as the young folk just won't watch B&W shows, no matter how good they were.