Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

thank you i had to stop for a few days and replace the rear leaf springs in 1977 chev 4x4 pick up truck ,on the way back from picking up this zenith it was the straw that broke the camels back, on already broken leaf springs the fine condition of the back roads of indiana and michigan broke the left rear main leaf ,so after dealing with rusty eye bolts i am finished replacing springs and will be ready for the call to rescue another roundie ha ha.also in the past few days iv been having to deal with comcast wanting more money for internet service, so if i suddley disappear ill be back.

Last edited by snelson903; 06-14-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

truck or tv getter, this can carry alot of tv's home .i bought a rusty used tommy lift this spring off craigslist once i rebuild it ill put on the back of the truck so when i happen across those console's tv's alone i can still get them by myself .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck srings.jpg (99.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg truck.jpg (74.4 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by snelson903; 06-14-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Old TVs are better!

I've worked on many of these sets years ago when I was repairing TVs. Two problems I remember is that they plastic dynamic convergence coils where they are held together with spring clips would break, also the coils on the dynamic convergence would crumble with age and heat and fall apart. Just hope the flyback, yoke and crt are good, or at least usuable. At least the zenith flybacks didn't seem to give as much trouble as the RCA roundies. After a good cleaning and recaping, and as most of them probably will need some tubes, you should have a great relic of a TV. I used to fix these years ago, and they would sell used for around $200, and for many of my customers it was there first color tv.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

the picture tube seems promissing ,flyback from what i have seen almost looks like it was replaced before its long stay in the barn, yes you are right the coils just crumbled like the knobs did ,so im making a shopping list and going try to find some parts while i do the cabnet .im going to take the chassis down the basement after i clean it the best i can thats my electronics work area is. hay while im on the subject of the chassis it has spots of rust on in area's pretty good i can remove the rust but usely it would rust again there has anyone else out there ever painted that gold or silver metal spray before ,or what would anyone suggest putting on the chassis after removing the rust ,only on the top not under the chassis. iv seen pictures of this chassis it's a copper or silver galvanize color.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

A used Tommy Lift on Craigslist? I could get in big trouble with the stuff I could bring home if I found one for my '94 Ranger. Well, maybe not, since I have NO more room in the house or garage for any more heavy objects.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 06-15-2012, 05:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

no more room ,there's always more room you can go verticle until one day your wife tossis you out, or your stuff falls on you and your crushed under whats called a trashalanch ,yeah i need to slow down on what im been getting already but there's always a need for a lift gate 101 uses to save your back.the first lift gate i had just rusted out ,and boy did i miss it .

Last edited by snelson903; 06-15-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Motorola Minion

That truck is one true workhorse made for TV rescues. You can come home with something inside and wait till nobody's looking to unload it.

Most 73-87 GMC have replacement sheet metal as repair panels are available.

I have a Toyota since the brake lines, frame and leaf spring brackets rusted on my Ranger. Its not faring much better but at least it was built in the Fremont Ca plant.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

thats second time around for that truck ,bought it in 1988 as a 1975 1/2 ton restored it ,by 2001 rusted out again ,found that frame axles transfer case in the woods found two other doner trucks made that one in the garage alittle bit at a time after work ,i even painted it in my garage at home ,witch ill never do again the overspary was just to much to control .and that paint isant basecoat clearcoat either its the old acrilic enamel and last time for that to .the newer paint is more forgiving.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

The danger of earthquakes here (about 15 miles north of the Fremont plant that made Dave's truck) limits the vertical arrangements I could get away with.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 06-15-2012, 05:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

i always woundered what living in a earthquake zone would be like ,and precautions you must you plan for in everyday things you do ,what most of us dont give second thought about.

Last edited by snelson903; 06-15-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 PM
..better in black & white

Snelson, that is one cool looking set!
I would love to find an early color set like this to work on.
I am watching this with great expectations, so keep up the good work!!

Magnavox300
Old 06-15-2012, 10:03 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson903 View Post
the picture tube seems promissing ,flyback from what i have seen almost looks like it was replaced before its long stay in the barn, yes you are right the coils just crumbled like the knobs did ,so im making a shopping list and going try to find some parts while i do the cabnet .im going to take the chassis down the basement after i clean it the best i can thats my electronics work area is. hay while im on the subject of the chassis it has spots of rust on in area's pretty good i can remove the rust but usely it would rust again there has anyone else out there ever painted that gold or silver metal spray before ,or what would anyone suggest putting on the chassis after removing the rust ,only on the top not under the chassis. iv seen pictures of this chassis it's a copper or silver galvanize color.
Have you considered clear lacquer? It would seal the metal just like paint and allow the metal underneath to be seen so color matching would not be an issue.
My grandpa's last truck and his only new from the dealership one (that he only lived to use for a short time) was almost the same as yours only light brown.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-16-2012, 01:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

ok i had a little extra time today to do somemore work on the cabnet, removed the top and cleaned the old glue off and check condition of the wood inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tv top 1.jpg (56.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg tv top 2.jpg (51.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg tv top 3.jpg (49.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg tv top 4.jpg (59.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg tv top 5.jpg (66.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-16-2012, 01:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

going to add extra support to the top ,been exp. with re-doing old legs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leg 2.jpg (96.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg leg 3.jpg (83.0 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by snelson903; 10-14-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:02 PM
M is for Memory

If you don't save the sides then you should at least try to save that tube chart on the inside of the one side.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma