Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hickok 660XC bar generator

I got this tonight at the Kutztown auction for $10. It is a 1955 Hickok 660XC dot/bar/color generator with it's box. It looks to be a field service unit with the most basic functions for an early color set installation. Hickok has a larger 1955 bench model that is much more useful including some real pre-NTSC bars. What they call bar here is really a crosshatch. The dot is a dot pattern. Color is a separate output of the most basic red/blue/green gradation across the screen...enough to tell you that you have color and not very bright. That may be better on the RF connection.

Any connection is with one cable with a 1/8" on one end and alligator clips on the other. I had to clip them to an RCA video input to get the pics. It has three connections. 1 - just dot/bar with polarity reversal in BW. 2 - 3.56mc out for the color smear. 3 - RF for channels 2-6. I have not tested that yet. All have separate gain/attenuation controls. 9 tubes. All the setup adjustments are under screw-on cover protection.

I read the manual and just plugged it in. It woke up quickly and worked out of the gate. I had to learn a few tricks to get the right displays. The pics have diagonals from my camera not likeing the scan rates. It looks like it was seldom used. I suspect better units came along quickly and pushed this to the curb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 660.1.jpg (66.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 660.2.jpg (59.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 660.3.jpg (63.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 660.4.jpg (52.7 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Dave A; 05-13-2022 at 09:43 PM. Reason: text
Old 05-13-2022, 10:27 PM
RCA 741PCS

Thanks, I've never seen one of these in action before. I picked up one of these a few years ago but have never tried to turn it on and use it. Being so early I figured the output wouldn't be the highest quality. Even so, it's a cool looking gadget
Old 05-13-2022, 11:34 PM
M is for Memory

Thanks for posting the output. I have a 660 myself. Mine was badly water damaged to the point I threw out the carrying case. It's rusty and even after a recap it wasn't putting out usable signal.
I only bought mine because I wanted one of the early pre-NTSC standard color bar generators. Now that I know this doesn't put out the style of color bar I wanted I don't have to try and fix my rough specimen and can part it out without guilt.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-14-2022, 09:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Just because it "worked right out of the gate" doesn't mean it is working as good as it should of course.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

The image on the box is a bit deceptive. From the manual; "Reddish-Orange at the extreme left side of the tube, followed by a gradual transition to red, blue, and green at the right side of the tube."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 660.4.jpg (68.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-15-2022, 06:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

There's one on Ebay. Seems to me its been there for a long time.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/17441650133...3ABFBMvo_i-Jhg
Old 05-15-2022, 08:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder how he came up with that exact price.
Why not just make it an amount that when added to the shipping equaled $100.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was surprised at how many WR64's there were on Ebay and how much they're asking for them. I counted 11.
They're almost useless as a test instrument these days and they're only worth maybe $10-$15 as a collectors' item.
I bought a Tektronix TSG170 off there for $20 non-working. The AC voltage select jumper had fallen off the pins on the PS board. An easy fix but a much better buy.
Its a digital generator. Rather than the patterns being generated by discrete circuitry (like in the Philips generators), they are read out of PROMs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tektronix_TSG170A.jpg (31.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-19-2022, 08:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Another great Tektronix generator is the TSG90/95. (The TSG95 is the NTSC/PAL combination unit.) A portable unit, they look like a fancy calculator.
Operates of 8 AA cells or wallwart.
Our station had a 90 and I can say it was a challenge to set up. BUT, it will do everything, even ID and tone sweep.
They were very pricey when new but used ones are down to earth on Ebay.
Here's a good video of one at work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjlbBvNt404