Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I'm FAMOUS...

...Well, not really. I subscribe to "Monitoring Times", one of the best SWL listening mags out there. They have a column about old radio restorations, where the guy who writes the column, Marc Ellis, gets a forlorn old specimen, & goes about brining it back to life. Well, he got a little Arvin 4-tube metal cased set, Model 444, & proceeded on it...I e-mailed him & told him how much I liked his column, & that I have a 444, & just a FEW other Boatanchors...He mentioned me in this month's edition, which I thought was nice.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

oooh nice ,good job man !
Old 08-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

Now you done went and dood it, Sandy - the papparazzi will be at your door 24/7!

I'm glad to see Marc Ellis is still in print. I remember him having a column in the briefly-resuscitated Popular Electronics back in the 1980's.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:48 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Hehehehe...People-"Civilians", i.e., non-radio & TV types, come here & see all my Good Junque, especially The Ship's Radio Room, w/its 2 industrial racks FULL of formidable & foreboding lookin' old radios, & get nervous looks on their faces...They think I MUST be some sort of Mad Scientist or sumpin'...They Beez RIGHT...Mbwahahahahahaha...
Old 08-31-2012, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Y'know, I can count on my fingers the amount of times I've been able to tune in to ANY broadcast on SW on ANY SW receiver on the exact frequency stated and get the station in.

Maybe it's me?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Hmmmmm..I dunno, Tim, I've had that happen, too, but generally only on the local AM station-Its SPOSED to come in on 1370, but every now & then you can "Zero beat it out" on SSB at 1369 or 1371...Back in the day, I never really noticed it w/the big powerhouses-BBC was at 5975, WWV was where It was sposed to be. But dial accuracy was sort of a Big Deal w/the military stuff I have.