Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:36 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Very nice car. I'm a classic Mopar guy myself, and used to own a 48 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-Door Sedan. I'm eyeballiing a 47 DeSoto project (an understatement) that's for sale on CL right now.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wish I had a '66 Imperial.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
"Slushbox" isn't a slur; the transmission is fluid coupled. It's a "slushbox" by design.

I've driven two: a '49 and a '52. The straight engine is nice, and I'll say that the Dynaflow gives very smooth acceleratio. That's where my praise ends.

Buick always had garbage styling, the Roadmaster I drove handled poorly, and a Dynaflow equipped vehicle accelerates too slowly and wastes gas doing it.

Oldsmobile's Hydramatic transmission was vastly superior. The engineers at the Pontiac, GMC, and Cadillac divisions apparently agreed.

Even Chevrolet's Powerglide was more efficient than Buick's Dynaflow.

All that said, Packard's Ultramatic was a better transmission than Hydramatic, Dynaflow, or Powerglide, with the exception of rather serious reliability issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Fair enough answer . The reason I asked is that it has been my experience that folks who denigrated such cars/transmissions were actually looking for something else , something that the car wasn't built to be and never could be . The Buick was basically a Cadillac with less trim and options and as such was specifically built to be "big & floaty" and not any kinds of "performance car" . Folks driving a Buick (or Cadillac) looking for Corvette performance were gonna be very sorely disappointed indeed , whereas people who drove them looking for that smooth ride with no abrupt starts , stops , or turns were getting exactly what the car was built to deliver , a ride akin to a driving BarcaLounger . It was the same with my 61 and 64 Cadillacs , drive them enjoying that big floaty ride and it was like floating on air , drive them expecting cornering like my MG at one's own peril , a couple of tons of car just ain't gonna change direction like a fighter jet
Old 07-29-2018, 09:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the positive comments, guys, makes me feel better about my purchase. To answer some questions:

The radio doesn't work yet, but eventually it will. It came with a spare receiver in the trunk, too. The previous owner never did figure out where they hid the antenna-I've read of a few locations it could be. I hadn't noticed the 110 mph speedometer yet; those dials are painted with phosphorescent paint (I've read radium but don't have a geiger counter handy!) I haven't tracked down the gremlin that's preventing the dash bulbs from working but apparently they're back-lit and pretty cool looking. They glowed pretty good after the camera flash hit 'em. The previous owner said his son drove the car 70 once or twice. I need to grab my GPS and see how accurate the speedo is. I've only had it up to speed once and 60 came pretty quick for a car like this.

I went about bleeding the brakes and after doing the last wheel I checked and had no pedal at all. I'm doing this on my back in the driveway and need to do some more crawling but I suspect something broke loose. Oh, well, better to have it break now.

I tried dropping some hints to the dear Mrs. about keeping both cars but that's not flying. I'd really hate to sell it to somebody who'd rip out that great flathead six. We drove it last night to the demolition derby at the Delaware State Fair (one of the best shows I've ever seen, btw) and I got to show off a mod that Kim has been asking for for years: I rigged up a radio dial lamp underneath the hood ornament so that it glows.

And, Hi-Volt, there is an older lady across town with a 47 Plymouth 4 door rotting away in her yard. If I were serious about it I think I could talk her out of it but I believe it's a bit more than I can do right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orca.jpg (22.8 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by bgadow; 07-29-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:32 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow
Now, I really thought I was more level-headed than this, always over-thinking every little purchase or life decision.
Not to worry buddy!!!

Whatever make you happy.... She looks pretty

Good for you!!
Audiokarma
Old 07-30-2018, 12:35 PM
Vintage Bouxy Audio

Buick transmission:

My 60 LeSabre had a 2 speed Turbine Transmission.Low & Drive
Old 07-30-2018, 03:38 PM
M is for Memory

Nice Packard. I always liked the fastback version of that car.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-31-2018, 07:16 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Nice Packard!!! "Ask The Man Who Owns One"
Old 08-16-2018, 06:02 AM
Resident Lunatic

Brian,

What trans is in your Packard? 1949 was the first year for Ultramatic and I know a lot, if not the majority, of '49s came equipped with the automatic.

I'm not sure when Ultramatic drive became standard with the manual becoming "delete for credit".
Old 08-19-2018, 10:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Brian,

What trans is in your Packard? 1949 was the first year for Ultramatic and I know a lot, if not the majority, of '49s came equipped with the automatic.

I'm not sure when Ultramatic drive became standard with the manual becoming "delete for credit".
Mine has the 3 speed with overdrive; this is the first experience I've had with an early OD arrangement and it works fairly well. It makes for a very slow take-off if it doesn't drop out when you slow down! That torquey 8 seems perfectly content staying in high gear except for complete stops. One trick I had to learn is the OD is also free-wheeling. If you park with the OD engaged it will roll away in first and don't set the brake (I proved that to myself in a mall parking lot Saturday )

The next step up was Electromatic clutch. With those you shifted manually but the clutch worked automatically powered by engine vacuum. Initially I thought the car had it but it seems they installed a dummy switch including the "clutch" label on cars without the option.

The Ultramatic seems to be well regarded among owners. I'm pretty sure my wife would prefer it had one! I'm not sure when it became more or less standard.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:02 PM
M is for Memory

If the Ford has an automatic that might be a good way to sell her on keeping both...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-20-2018, 09:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If the Ford has an automatic that might be a good way to sell her on keeping both...
The Ford is a 3 speed as well. She's driven it a few times but doesn't have confidence enough to take it out on her own. Part of it, which I understand, is that before we met she had a 5-speed Festiva. She stalled it at a light one day & the woman behind her wasn't paying attention and rear-ended her pretty bad. She still has problems from that wreck.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
The next step up was Electromatic clutch. With those you shifted manually but the clutch worked automatically powered by engine vacuum. Initially I thought the car had it but it seems they installed a dummy switch including the "clutch" label on cars without the option.
Many years ago I almost bought a Desoto that had a standard shift , but it was not a full manual shift . When starting from a stop one would use first gear and the clutch as in a normal standard shift , but when it was time to shift to second the shift was done by a huge solenoid that would slam the shifter into second gear . I saw that huge (on the steering column) shifter bang into second , thought about getting a broken wrist if I got my hand in the way , and rejected the purchase .
Old 10-21-2018, 09:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would think those "self-shifters" could be a nightmare to get adjusted just right. I would like to see one in action someday, just for the novelty. Years ago I knew an old fellow with a '52 Dodge that was always for sale. Kinda wished I bought it from him; I probably could have picked it up for $2k. The flathead six in that car was the quietest engine I've ever heard. Anyway, I guess one fender had been replaced at some point because the nameplates didn't match and one said it had that semi-auto shift (I forget what they called it). I do have to adjust the kick-down switch on mine (or perhaps replace it) as it's not working. One good thing is there's a great wealth of knowledge online for these cars.

I've really been itching to work on the Packard but the dear Mrs. says I have to get a few more honey-dos finished first. (Somehow that list keeps getting longer!) I wondered why the heater core was bypassed and found the valve leaks (judging by the pieces of cut-off hose remaining in place it must have been like that for many, many decades.) I bought a rebuild kit (just consists of a seal) so need to get it pulled out and taken apart. The other issue is that the car likes to stall, mostly when making turns, and then won't readily restart. My research points to a misadjusted float but I just haven't had time to tinker with it. Someday I'll play with it then drive over the nearby industrial park and do a bunch of hard turns and see what happens. As it stands dear Mrs. refuses to ride in it with me. My friend has been very slow paying for the old Ford so we're still using it every chance I get. Its exhaust donut has developed a leak which makes it seem even more rustic in comparison to the smooth & quiet Packard.