Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Panasonic VCR fails to play

I have a Panasonic Omnivision PV-1231R top-loading VCR and since top-loaders are such a rare commodity around here, I've been really trying hard to get it to work. I've cleaned the heads and capstans, I blasted the mode switch with contact cleaner, I even replaced the belts, but it still just won't play a tape.

When you insert a tape and push play, it pulls the tape out like normal and the head drum starts spinning. But after about 30 seconds, everything pulls back and the head stops spinning, leaving the tape pulled out like this:

https://i.imgur.com/GHP39Cl.jpg

Is there some other cause to this problem I just haven't considered yet?
Old 03-20-2019, 05:49 PM
M is for Memory

That it leaves the tape out may mean the takeup reels are not working. Often there are systems to check if the capstan and takeup reels are moving...If they are not moving in play mode the machine will stop to avoid either unspooling a bunch of tape (if only the capstan is working), snapping the tape (if end of tape sensor died), or grinding a line out of the tape with the video head (if take-up reels and capstan dead).

Check that the unit both fast forwards and rewinds (if not fix that first), if so check that your capstan advances the tape (if not fix it), if that is good check the end of tape sensor (fix if bad), if that is good consult someone that knows more about VCRs than me.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-20-2019, 06:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the rewind and fast forward suggestions, rewind and fast forward does nothing. I get motor noises and stuff but the tape doesn't move and after a few seconds there's a kind of mechanical clunk as...something moves back to where it started.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:05 PM
Old TVs are better!

There should be a rubber idler wheel that turns the supply and take up reels. The rubber gets hard and it will slip, causing it to not FF or RW, and also the take up will not run, so it stops and unloads the tape. The idler usually will toggle between the 2 reels, as it goes from FF to RW. Best is to replace the idler wheel, or at least the rubber piece. I believe you can still find them by model number online. Also if the mechanical counter doesn't run due to a slipping belt etc, that also causes it to shut down as well.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'll have to figure out where the idler wheel is then, I have the service manual but actually understanding the thing is tough. There's no mechanical counter though.
Audiokarma
Old 03-21-2019, 03:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

The idler wheel will be in between both of the reel gears. Look up "vcr idler wheel" in google images to see an example.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found a replacement idler tire being sold online so now I just need to dig through my service manual until I figure out how to reach the thing.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:32 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Good luck buddy trying to help her

Im having some VCR issues also but I dont wanna mock up your thread.... Ill post my own thread on this base and see if you guys can help me also.......

Last edited by Dude111; 04-06-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

I replaced the old cracked idler tire today but I have the exact same symptoms as before, with no improvement.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:22 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Thats sad......... Do you have any place around that might fix er for ya??
Audiokarma
Old 04-06-2019, 03:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I know a guy but he charges $35 as a base fee and this VCR isn't even worth $35. It's just a 2-head standard VCR, it's not a JVC HR-7100U or anything.