Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
I took apart the VCR again to find the surface mounts...
My AG-1830 from about the same vintage '87-88 has a lot of miniature radial lead electrolytics in the video circuits that have failed. I don't recall seeing any SMD caps on boards in that model either. Might pre-date use of SMDs by a year or two.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ok i see, i missed read your post.. I'll just have to look for the board that contains the video circuit
Old 04-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Justg got back from stopping by my old place of employment and picked up both the Philips NAP and Panasonic manuals for this VCR. If you need any specifics maybe I can help.

They're are fixin' to throw out all the "obsolete" manuals! I am trying to collect manuals for everything I own. They have already dumped a bunch into boxes and are not organized anymore, which makes it hard to find ones I'm looking for. If I only had room I would get them all but there's probably 20 filing cabinets full and will only need them once they're gone of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PV-S4880-Phil-man1.jpg (67.6 KB, 82 views)
Old 04-15-2011, 07:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, that Panasonic does look allot like the Phillips I have.. You should get all those service manuals and put them up on Ebay, especially anything from the 80's and prior to the 80's.. I Just need to locate the video board.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
I took apart the VCR again to find the surface mounts.. I didn't see any, and also having trouble locating the video board.. I did a thorough look on what i can see on the whole main board and the small boards attached to it, still cant see any surface mounts. There's a couple of servo sections, audio section, sap, and others, but nothing labeled video. There's also a few circuits that are in metal housings like the tuner circuit. I didn't bother to look through those, as i would need to unsolder them and pry them open, and also didn't want to go into something unnecessary..
There are indeed surface-mount caps on the video board, and they are hidden underneath the main board. You will need to remove the four bone-color hooks to free the video board from the main board, and flip it over.

I'm servicing a Panasonic PV-S4880 right now, which is the clone-model to your Philips, and it needs a power supply rebuilt, a servo board caps rebuilt, and video board SMD caps rebuilt. Not a smart design at all by PanaJunk.

This is what the video board looks like with the surface-mount caps on the hybrid IC board. Replace all 8, which I already ordered from Mouser for myself, and you will have video again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0390.jpg (96.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0393.jpg (76.2 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by waltchan; 06-02-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-02-2012, 04:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
My AG-1830 from about the same vintage '87-88 has a lot of miniature radial lead electrolytics in the video circuits that have failed. I don't recall seeing any SMD caps on boards in that model either. Might pre-date use of SMDs by a year or two.
Panasonic began to use SMDs in mid-1987, first with the 1987 PV-S4764, Panasonic's first S-VHS VCR.

Last edited by waltchan; 10-25-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:08 AM
DIGITRON

Location: MULTIPLEX TV SOUND CATV;AIR;MTS;PCM;XDS-cc;vps;pdc;txt
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Justg got back from stopping by my old place of employment and picked up both the Philips NAP and Panasonic manuals for this VCR. If you need any specifics maybe I can help.

They're are fixin' to throw out all the "obsolete" manuals! I am trying to collect manuals for everything I own. They have already dumped a bunch into boxes and are not organized anymore, which makes it hard to find ones I'm looking for. If I only had room I would get them all but there's probably 20 filing cabinets full and will only need them once they're gone of course.
North American Philips (NAP)
http://www.videokarma.org/member.php?u=71610