Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-22-2003, 02:37 AM
Terry

Zenith console with phonograph.

Hi all,

I have acquired a older Zenith Console radio, AM/FM, with a phonograph player as well. The only marking on the chassis says chassis number 8H20Z. Does anyone know of anywhere I can find information on this? I would like to know what year is was made, and if schematics are availible online for it.

Thanks,
Terry
Old 07-22-2003, 06:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Off hand, I don't know the year of that model, but I have several Zenith AM-FM consoles--If it has the 44 Mhz and 100 Mhz FM band and a 78 RPM only player, it is most likely from 1946; if it has a multi-speed record player and single FM band with a hexagonal design around the dial, it is from 1950-52 or so.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:43 AM
Terry

The record players has speeds of 16, 45, 33, 78; it also appears to have a manual trim for the speed adjustment. The FM dial says 88 to 108, the dial itself is in a simi circle arrangement above these two big dual knobs. One is a rotating swich for the radio bands and the record players selector, and the other is the volume with the on off switch, you know you turn it and it turns on then start increasing the volume, likewise behind it is the other control for the radio dial.

The cabinet has beautiful burl vineer on the front of the two console doors, below this are what looks like two more doors, one is a fake being for the speaker, both have grill cloth on them; the other is a door for an area to store your record albums.

The speaker appears to be an alnico speaker, it has that square shaped metal piece going around a cylindrical magnet. Looks like it is 12" speaker, only one it is mono. So it is starting to look like it is from the early to mid 50's.

Anyone have an idea of its value, this would help in know how much I should invest in restoring it. It has some scratches to the wood, but the grill cloth is near perfect.

TG
Old 07-23-2003, 06:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, this sounds like early 50's (around '52). I paid $20 for mine, I think I would pay from $20-50 for one. They are not real collector's items (so far as I know), but they have very good performance, especially on FM. CAUTION: even though it has a transformer for the plate voltage, the power line is connected DIRECTLY to the chassis. On mine, I just replaced the electrolytics and paper caps, also installed a new silicon diode to replace the selenium rectfier, to restore good performance.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Audiophool

I found the schematic in the 1951 Beitman's. Chad is correct - this has a non-isolated power supply, with an autotransformer for the B+ supply.

Email me at tbavis(at)rochester(dot)rr(dot)com and I'll reply with the schematic.
Audiokarma
Old 12-11-2003, 01:12 PM
<----Zenith C845

Zenith radio-phono

Terry,

Zenith chassis 8H20Z, IIRC, has AM and the modern FM band (the latter tuning 88-108 MHz). The earlier model, from '46, has the original 40-MHz FM broadcast band which is no longer used for broadcast purposes.

Once you recap this set you will have a really good one. Those older Zeniths were (and still are) excellent sets, being hand-wired and with very sensitive signal circuits, not to mention excellent sound quality (I have a 1963 Zenith K731 AM/FM table model radio in a walnut cabinet that looks and sounds like a console, only in a smaller cabinet; it works even better from a selectivity standpoint than the AM/FM tuner in my bookshelf stereo, probably because the Zenith's AFC can be disabled when necessary whereas the AFC circuits in my stereo's tuner cannot).

The combo units were very good as well, especially the ones with the famous (in its day) Cobra-Matic record changer. The Cobra-Matic was unique in that the turntable speed could be varied continuously from roughly 16 to 78+ RPM, thereby allowing for fine pitch and tempo adjustments--something one just cannot do with ordinary turntables and, of course, CD players.

The Cobra-Matic also had a built-in stroboscope, which allowed the user to set the turntable speed exactly to the speed at which the record being played had been recorded.

Good luck. When you get your set working at its best, you will have a unit you can enjoy for many years. IIRC, that RP console is housed in a very nice walnut wood cabinet, so it will make a handsome addition to your living room as well.

The 8H20Z chassis was also used in Zenith's three-way version of your set. The three-way system included a TV set with Zenith's famous Great Circle (aka porthole) screen. These sets weigh the proverbial ton, however, so be sure you have help when/if you try to move it.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got one of those Zeniths w/46 MC FM. You can pick up baby monitors, cordless phones (older models), etc.