Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Did I see the word fish tank used >.<

I saw this ad on Gumtree & I read the following:

"We are selling our old 1970's Kriesler TV. Only $20!
It was our first colour television when I was only 10 years old.
I have seen these made into cool fish tanks.
Pick up from North Adelaide."

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north...-tv/1043088521

Oh dear God. -facepalm-

This set looks like it uses the Kreisler 59-03 chassis which was the first one to use the in-line gun Philips 20AX CRT.

Last edited by daro; 04-11-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

It makes a MUCH cooler TV than it would a fish tank. That would make a totally boss addition to my collection if it were local. For fish tank use I would recommend gutting a late 80s-early 90s RCA/Thomson stereo TV console. Mostly Masonite and wouldn't suffer ambient moisture damage as easily as particle. Worthless as a TV to me, I've gutted two for the cabinets.

Just realized, no way one of those would be local to me as I now see that you're in Australia. Also, I had never heard the brand name before.

Last edited by Jon A.; 04-11-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Doesn't mak since turning any console into anything other than what its supposed to be. Unless it maybe had bad parts like the 90's Zenith with the crappy crts. I had a guy tell me that some people clean them out and put flat screens in. Makes me sick.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen the words "fish tank" used a lot...but then again I never saw any of those TV that was actualy turned into those...I think it's just a myth.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsbeard View Post
I've seen the words "fish tank" used a lot...but then again I never saw any of those TV that was actualy turned into those...I think it's just a myth.
HA ! HA ! HA !

-yup, it's just a myth........
Old 04-25-2014, 08:30 PM
<----Zenith C845

The Sony or Panasonic television cabinet mentioned in the Craigslist ad (it is shown in another thread) is simply a cabinet. The television chassis is long gone, probably junked when it developed some expensive repair problem such as a bad CRT or flyback. The owner probably decided to sell it when he or she realized it was just taking up space, and they wanted it out of the house ASAP.

BTW: I do not like, either, seeing well-crafted solid-wood cabinets that once housed classic or antique TV chassis being turned into fishtanks, or worse, broken up and used for firewood. This is often done by people who have no appreciation, as we VKers do, for the value of these old TVs; when the set finally develops a problem for which there is no easy or inexpensive solution, one of two things can and often does happen: either the entire TV, nice solid-wood cabinet and all, gets put out for the trash (I don't know if that's even allowed anymore, given the current regulations in some areas regarding recycling) or else the chassis is pulled, the cabinet cleaned up inside (there will likely be years or decades worth of dust, critters, etc. in there), and used as a fishtank, bookcase, or, God forbid, a tool chest.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 04-25-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Yup! just a myth... nobody would ever do anything like that!
http://tinyurl.com/m5wfro5

jr
Old 04-27-2014, 01:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Yeah your right, its just an myth. LMAO

I used to fix those early Australian made Sanyo's when I was in the trade back in the late 80's I used to change a lot of electros in the video IF & AGC stages of many of those. Oh! Happy Days...

I didn't think you could do this to a GE Porta Color, well the picture quality would have been better the the 11SP22 CRT's that were used. -chuckles-

I used to have one of those sets when I was living Dubbo NSW, It's was PYE Tecnico W201C 21" console circa 1957, It was one of my first attempts to get an early Australian television going. It was a responsible success.

Last edited by daro; 04-27-2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hahaha, those thing are horrible!

What I meant to say is : I KNOW those things exist, but do you actually know anyone that got one? Us TV collector (or enthusiasts) are few and far between...I can't imagine for a moment that those few poeple who use TV as fishtank are really a threat to our hobby.

I can just about hear those people in my head going : " ugh this TV is horrible...lets turn it into a fishtank!" Really doesn't make sense to me :P
Old 05-03-2014, 02:13 AM
M is for Memory

That GE is not a portacolor. It is a black and white set from about the mid 80's.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma