Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-15-2024, 11:44 PM
real TVs have a CRT

Testing a Magnavox TV on Junk modern RF modulator

Yesterday I pulled out a Magnavox TV from 1990 I had not yet tested to see if it worked as I got from estate sale with the cabinet, 1988 Zenith VCR, VHS auto rewinder, an the TV for $2.
Well I hooked the TV up to a DVD player via an RF modulator to test the set and when I turned the set on and with the brightness and contrast. The picture looked very dim and colors blend to geather. In other words the TV looked like the CRT was totally shot . Also the vertical kept shaking up and down as if the TV could not keep vertical sync. I was about to part the set and then I decided before I take it part let's test it with different RF modulator. Once I did that the TV had a great picture and had no trouble with the vertical. The RF modulator had no shielding like those cheap modern rabbit ears on permanent attached cable that goes to the TV. Also it had a switch mode PSU which is a recipy for interference. Final thing it has one those stupid blue LEDs that never turns off as long as it plugged in so if use it at night you get blinded by the bright blue light.
The modulator is GE from 2020s and I got it at Junkmart oops I mean Walmart and it was not cheap for this peace of junk. Yes it looks bad on every TV with tons of noise and this stupid product is why people think RF is terrible. If used my good RF modulator from RadioShak the picture looks great.