Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2018, 06:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Price advice for a Predicta

Hey everybody,

I'm about to make an offer on what appears to be a very clean Holiday (model UG4242). The kicker: it's located in Madrid, Spain, about an eight-hour drive from me. It is likely the only Predicta in the country, and one of only a few on the continent.

The set is in a vintage shop (differentiated from a junk store by the prices). The seller wants 550€ for it, and they said the screen lights up but the lady in the shop isn't technical enough to tell me anything else. It hasn't had a CCIR conversion done, still 110V, which means it hasn't been used in Spain. It was likely either a decoration or...I dunno. So probably low hours, but who knows.

All the knobs are there, no scratches or pitting on the brass around the CRT or the rails/feet. The seller claims it will come with a NOS Philco stand made for the TV, bought but never used.

They're asking 550€. That's a lot of money. But it's the only one I'll probably ever get my hands on. But it's a lot of money. There is a risk that I will drive all they way there to pick it up and it will have an open filament in the CRT (despite what they said) or be otherwise not what I'm expecting, so it would mean a wasted two-day trip. But it's a Predicta in Europe. But it's a lot of money.

I told her I'd call with an offer today. I have no idea how much to offer. Whatever it's worth to me, I guess. If it were half an hour away I'd probably already have paid what they're asking.

Anyone care to chime in? What is a fair price for something like this?