Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:01 PM
go big or go home

Global 4K TV Shipment To Hit 22 Million Units In 2017

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/globa...1307193187.htm

Sales of 4K Ultra HD televisions have barely scratched the surface in the overall TV market, but that’s all going to change in the next few years, with one analyst firm confidently predicting shipments to break the 20 million barrier within the next four years.
TV shipment
The prediction comes courtesy of Futuresource Consulting, which insists that the growing availability of 4K content will drive future sales.
Simon Bryant, Futuresource’s head of consumer electronics, said that last years fall in shipments was just a blip, with growth in the market likely to be evident at the end of the year.
“Emerging markets will see 6% growth in this year, accounting for more than 60% of the world’s overall TV shipments,” said Bryant.
Bryant acknowledged that developed markets are shrinking, something he blames on the “saturation” of flat-screen TVs. However, with developing markets leading the way, he said that global markets should see 4% CAGR until 2017, at which time annual TV shipments should surpass 270 million units.
With regards to 4K, Bryant warned that there’s still a two-to-three year bedding-in period as consumers become familiar with the technology, but after that the market research firm expects sales to skyrocket.
“4K is on track to become a significant segment of the technology market. This year alone we’re expecting shipments in the region of 780,000, up from just 62,000 units last year. By 2017, we’ll see 22 million units shipped worldwide. Increased awareness and the growing availability of 4K content will drive sales in the sector from 2015,” stated Bryant.
One of the biggest reasons for this optimism is the fervour with which manufacturers have been pushing 4K technologies. Panel manufacturers and TV brands have been seeking the next hot trigger in the industry for some time, and even though 3D TVs failed to catch on among consumers, things are likely to be different this time.
“4K is a more natural progression, and though manufacturers face some challenges with regard to production yields and content, these can be overcome,” continued Bryant.
“The HEVC codec is being improved and tested all the time, and this will smooth the way for 4K broadcasting in future. Solutions are being tested and evaluated as we speak.”
Somewhat surprisingly, China is leading the field when it comes to 4K TV adoption, thanks to a proliferation of low cost televisions manufactured by domestic brands. However, with global brands like Samsung, LG and Sony all pushing their own 4K products, key markets like North America will likely catch onto the trend soon.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Administrator

I can see this being popular with Home Theater enthusiasts but not so much being done on Cable TV or Streaming.
I assume there will be some form of player that will handle 4k content? and it will be backwards compatible with 2k and DVD?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I can see this being popular with Home Theater enthusiasts but not so much being done on Cable TV or Streaming.
I assume there will be some form of player that will handle 4k content? and it will be backwards compatible with 2k and DVD?
looks like it's a glorified hard drive case. All u can do with it is subscribe to the upcoming sony 4k download service.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&Q=&A=details

while exciting, this needs 15-20 years to mature.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

If 4K gets people to like bigger displays, viewed closer, then I am all for it.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 PM
go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
If 4K gets people to like bigger displays, viewed closer, then I am all for it.
I have heard there is no real payoff with these sets unless u get a 84' or bigger.

South Korea is up and running with 4k broadcasts, Japan is close behind. Sad that we have lost our technological lead.
Audiokarma
Old 07-25-2013, 07:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolor View Post
I have heard there is no real payoff with these sets unless u get a 84' or bigger.
84-feet would make one nice movie theater.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolor View Post
I have heard there is no real payoff with these sets unless u get a 84" or bigger.
It is not the screen size itself so much as how close you sit to watch relative to the screen's size. The ideal distance for a 1080p display ( most current HDTV sets) in order to see all of the detail is about 1.2 or 1.3 times the width of the screen (not the diagonal number). So, a 46-inch diagonal set has a picture about 40 inches wide by 22.5 inches tall. The best distance to see that size screen is four to four-and-a-half feet away. You can also reverse these numbers and measure the distance from your couch, for example, to the wall or table where you will put your planned new TV. If that table or wall is nine feet away, the ideal size is a 92-inch diagonal screen. Most people do not watch screens this big, or this close (but I do!). Now, for 4K displays, double the screen size (or sit half as far away as measured above). Five feet away from a 100-inch screen-you will feel like you are EATING the display! But... Sit any further away, and most people will not see a sharper picture than with a 1080p screen.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-30-2014, 08:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

If 4K gets people to like bigger displays, viewed closer, then I am all for it.??

Last edited by dieting; 01-13-2015 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:44 PM
Looking For Time

Quote:
The future of entertainment won't be a spinny disc, 4K will be streaming only. Content makers don't like the idea of you buying their products as much as they like you paying them for access TO their products. It's way easier for them to control and far more profitable with this method.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:18 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

There should be 4K Blu-ray discs on the market by late 2015, but it will probably be a "niche" product, since even regular Blu-ray has never succeeded to the level that DVD has. Indeed, the movie studios and other content providers are smiling all the way to the bank as much of the public is accepting the "convenience" of online/streaming content, which never has nearly the quality of a real Blu-ray disc, or even of a broadcast HDTV show that you can also "own" by recording it on a Windows 7 or other computer pretty easily.

Audiokarma
Old 01-03-2015, 02:31 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Now, for 4K displays, double the screen size (or sit half as far away... Sit any further away, and most people will not see a sharper picture than with a 1080p screen.
Now that I have seen a good 4K display in a friend's house (as opposed to store displays that are near-impossible to properly evaluate), I disagree with my previous statement. There is more to gain from a 4K (also called UHD) display than just higher resolution. The extremely fine pitch of the display picture elements makes even good-quality 1080i or 1080p content look more life-like at moderate viewing distances (about six feet or so from a 65-inch diagonal screen). It is essentially a similar effect to what you get in the super-detailed screens of some of the newer cell phones and tablets (what in Apple's case they call a "retina display", though other companies have similar or better displays). None of those small displays are ever used to their maximum resolution with individual picture elements likely, but they do look superior to similar-sized displays with lower (but still high) resolution.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:43 PM
<----Zenith C845

I wonder if 4K is going to make every other type of flat screen TV obsolete, as digital did with CRT televisions in 2009. My 19" Insignia FP has worked quite well since it was new in August 2011; I would hate to think I may have to give it up and get a new 4K set in another year or so.

I'm thinking 4K just might render today's flat screens obsolete in the blink of an eye, since television transmission standards keep changing every so often. I think this is just a way the TV industry has of getting people to buy new sets every couple of years, even if the one they have works perfectly well. I live on a fixed income and cannot afford to replace my TV so often, just because some organization comes up with a new, whiz-bang transmission standard that they think is so much better than the last one.

I do not think 4K will catch on any time soon (if ever) in homes. Digital signage, sports scoreboards, yes, but not in American living rooms, except as status symbols.

I don't see the practicality of curved 4K TV screens, either. Samsung has been beating the drum for its 4K UHD curved TV for some time (I see the ads in flyers in my Sunday newspaper), but I have yet to see any other manufacturer marketing a curved 4K display.

Sheeeesh! I wish the TV industry would quit trying to reinvent the wheel again, and again, and yet again. We got along for over 50 years with 4:3 NTSC television; the first improvement (color) was practical, but the next one, stereo sound, was not, IMHO. (The MTS stereo sound system built into my Insignia FP TV drives two three-inch speakers that face downward, so the speakers are talking to the top of my TV stand.) Now we have flat screen TVs with 70-, 80-, 90-inch screens, 700-watt-plus, 5.1 (?) channel sound systems, and who knows what else may be down the road..............?

BTW, some programs on NBC and ABC are apparently being transmitted with black bars at each side of the picture. My TV's zoom adjustments fail to zoom the picture to fill the screen. Is this a preview of some new transmission standard, such as 4K (!), that ordinary flat screens cannot process? An example is ABC's "Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown" annual special, telecast late last month, just before Christmas. I tried all four of my TV's zoom settings, but none of them zoomed the picture enough to fill the screen.

Some NBC programs telecast this year show the same thing. I honestly believe this may very well be the industry's method of telling people that the TV they have is obsolete, and to get the best possible picture (or, in some cases, any picture at all), will be to buy a new TV capable of decoding whatever new standard may be in vogue at that time. Now it's 4K, but who knows what's next? Look what's happening to 3D HDTV. These sets aren't being mentioned much anymore; in fact, that format could well be on its way out, as were 3D movies in theaters in the 1950s. Three-dimensional television has the same problem 3D motion pictures had: the viewer had to wear special glasses to get the full 3D effect. I believe that is what killed 3D television, as no one wants to wear any kind of special glasses just to watch a couple of hours of TV each evening. It's okay, I guess, for the first night of viewing, but I don't think anyone is going to put up with it for any length of time.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 01-06-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

TV's are getting better .Now I wish the content will get better.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:11 AM
Administrator

AFAIK a 4K TV can still play anything from a standard DVD or Blu Ray but not the other way around, not a big deal since there would be no benefit of playing 4K content on a lesser resolution set.

As for the black bars on the sides that is completely normal and correct when playing 4:3 content on a 16:9 or wider set, anything made before Wide Screen was adopted is going to have this, most 16:9 sets can stretch it to fill the screen but it looks awful.
Charlie Brown Christmas was made in 1965 so it's in the 4:3 format.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:02 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
AFAIK a 4K TV can still play anything from a standard DVD or Blu Ray but not the other way around, not a big deal since there would be no benefit of playing 4K content on a lesser resolution set.

As for the black bars on the sides that is completely normal and correct when playing 4:3 content on a 16:9 or wider set, anything made before Wide Screen was adopted is going to have this, most 16:9 sets can stretch it to fill the screen but it looks awful.
Charlie Brown Christmas was made in 1965 so it's in the 4:3 format.
With that avatar I feel like you should have ended your post with: Doi!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma