Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Issues with picture quality and sizing on flat panels

Lately I've been having issues with format and picture quality. This mainly happens watching British comedies on PBS. I've noticed lately the picture is very narrow, like the ratio is wrong. It does not seem to be my TV, rather how PBS is broadcasting it? Also the picture has a very cloudy appearance, as if it was filmed in a mist. I never had this issue in the past with the same program.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

///

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt89 View Post
Lately I've been having issues with format and picture quality. This mainly happens watching British comedies on PBS. I've noticed lately the picture is very narrow, like the ratio is wrong. It does not seem to be my TV, rather how PBS is broadcasting it? Also the picture has a very cloudy appearance, as if it was filmed in a mist. I never had this issue in the past with the same program.
OTA, or digital cable? If OTA, are you viewing on a HDTV, or NTSC with a converter?

I'm OTA /1080 HDTV and have never experienced an aspect issue with British-sourced material on PBS. Now digital cable......the compression reduces the pixel count, and the artifacts are very noticeable, at least on Cox Cable as we have here. My number one reason fro watching sports broadcasting at home - too many friends and sports bars use cable.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 01-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Our PBS station .....
BBQ with Franklin - one of my favorite Austin Public Television-produced shows. Yummy..
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 01-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I see that on the local PBS station here too. Looks like 3:3 square aspect ratio with everything squeezed. Their "KERA" logo bug is still placed where it normally is, but in the black bar area. Makes me wonder if there is anyone there monitoring what goes out over the air.
Audiokarma
Old 07-04-2017, 12:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

The latest issue I've noticed is not only is the aspect ratio squeezed, but the picture quality has gotten awful. This is the case with BBC comedies such as most Are You Being Served episodes but recently it has happened with Keeping Up Appearances as well.

Now, I had always noticed the colors always looked better in the final season of Keeping Up Appearances, I think it had to do with the cameras they used, they seemed more vibrant and a clearer picture, but the earlier seasons never looked this bad before.

The colors all have a whitish hue to them and with the aspect ratio, it makes it look like a very old film. I'm not sure if the media has aged or something or due to an equipment change but it looks as if the series was filmed in the 60s or 70s now, not the 90s.

I don't really watch As Time Goes By, but from what I've seen it doesn't have this issue at least as far as colors.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt89 View Post
If you can get the ATT/ Direct TV birds and make sure your channel line up has the PBS propaganda & other you want in HDTV and be done it and see decent 720p/1080i HDTV .

Dish TV HD downrezzes HDTV to less than 1080i or 720p Comcast (Shaftcast) and many others downrezz HD 1080i to 720p today beware. AT&T DircTV is full boat 720p and 1080i ..........for now.

Note : Aside from the Content or Productin Digital Intemediate Format, Quality and Care of the Content Production The Best mean and avarge measured time intraval duration bit rate troughput is the objective for best Digital TV or media pictire on your playback chain and TV
Note : you can see my edu.about electrons (6 yrs.) at my profile if it matters
I didn't list my recent extended phsycoacoustic + digital codec /format *group studys * with industry leading PhD 's and the particiating prominent lables and a retired MS VP and same cocurcurant hires only and Mp3 vs 16 bit & 16 bit vs hires reseach *group collaboratins there managed by the PhD brains and participating lables or our THX PM3 pro equipped digital content creation... digital music production /beats prod. /overlay studio right here in a dedicated structure apart from this home on one acre here eithert if that matters to anyone.but all this is concomittant to digital TV or sound anyway and why I put it right here,

Point being Digital Bits are Bits ,@ noise shaping. ,@ comression and content & all are the same fundamentals in that respect only the data & formats pkg. vary..

note : OTA ATSC 2.x TV , Media & Mpeg 2 and 4 TV serv. are *perceptual lossy compression codes like Mp3 ,what means is only that within the designed bandwidth or file size is it tosses out what the encodes think are the less important bits and CATV/SAT Digital TV has co channel bit sharing
also .
IOW with look ahead image analysis's one Chanel gets a dynamic bit haircut and the other chameleon gets more bits and there are the fixed sub channels out side of that on OTA DTV .
Point being Dish TV is the smallest offender here by a county mile if you want a good picture ,I'm told Charter Cable is decent as well ,Comcast and others are downrezzing now beware bits make the picture dont let uneducated hobby fools on the web or marketing mislead you ,this isn't way better HEVC here like ATSC 3.0 will be like IPTV today

FWIW I had azzzz looking Dish TV HDTV untill 06.31.2016 for 6 miserable years on some spendy TV's until I got wise trus`me avoid those sick HD Dish TV birds like the plauge on any TV , I had no idea how much beter D*TV HD pucture is ,th new cutner ioggers are always good and they all scew us after 24 mo. same same .

Make sure your DVR or STB room clent is on native resolution output unless you have an azzz TV with a crummy scaler ,de interlace ,Sony,Samung,LG are all top notch ,Samsung like that is best for TV use . Maybe the Vizio rubbish OK too Ibou ot wint ba as good like that.
Not top shelf OTA HDTV without too may sub channels but D*TV decnt (full pixel resolution)

Quality within that is depenbing on the content provider .the prominent cable chaneels are mostly real good on D*TV as tare the beter local independants and affiliates and COO and the 4 alphabet networks (usualy good) but sports are usualy better OTA as usual ,
lot of CATV providers squashing all 1080i down to 720i to save bandwidth for greedy other uses and lying to the folks about the new image quality ,CATV often looks like azzzx now mpeg 4 compression is just what it says ,

HEVC is another matter entirely it can be quite good like Neflix up to 4K HDR here for instance with the ATT dirct connect to Neflix via my 40 Mbps AT&T broadband but 18Mbps is plenty for 4K HDR on one TV or 2 @ 1080p ,maybe 3

Best Netflix 1080p super HD HEVC encode is ~ 4800 kbps now so tou can do 3 1080p on 18Mbps no prob.** if you have the AT&T (or otherI SP) direct connect out side of ISP> Neflix Dircect connect all bets are off even X1 @ stable 1080p ,Anazon AWS vidfeo varies depndong on the CDN .net routing chocke points can be very food or buffer lie azzz

The mid century nig 3 alhpahabet network locaks and some ( HD local) independents are good to very good on D*TV ,as the beter HDTV cable channels Caviat 480i SD looks like azzz on D*TV
Caveat,not so hot SD is the trade off to know before yoy fly there it ,make sure your fir to screen or iove in the TV is 16x9 1:1 pixel

Relevant TV -source qualifying Anecdotal paragraphs if it matters :

I have a retina searing 05.17 55" NIB 2016 #4K HDR 1000 QDOT SUHD Samsung in here per my edu.& spend , binned for a Samsung Direct FA01 ultra black moth eye panel it da 1474 NIT (cd/m2) luma power panel bomb and 2017 Sony X930E LCD ,Samsung Q9F LCD and ofc. LG OLED are fine too ,

The Samsung in here has the obligatory 65K white TV BIAS light kit behind the TV,everyone should have those it medias eye strain and enhances color and contrast nite especially if you have a TV with a loser TV IPS Panel. but its a VA panel necessity also ,they use these in TV program and cinema production

. Antec white 65k TV Bias light kit is ~$20.00 @ Amazon ,don't use color lights like a fool.

I have up to 4K HDR @7.1 & up to 24/96 Multi Tb NTFS Medfia drives for content consumpotyin amd IPTV andf D8TV and OTA. TV and aconneted windows 10 PC and a 1080p Roku 2 (the newer one) and OCV RW DVD and PS3 for 2K BD .
2015 #4K HDR Sony Triluninus @ my family cinema room is real decent

Point being ,all these TV can put up stonking good pictures or reveal rubbish like Dish TV HD
Choose you T V provider wisley
Old 08-16-2017, 06:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Best test is try the OTA station if its close enuf. Closest you will
get to a true HD as everyone else seems to screw with things
such as compression etc to save space. I dont think its PBS itself
since its subsidized & has the best of everything. No need to watch
the budget......

BTW being from the 60's-70's does NOT mean lesser pix. On an
NTSC direct view set a good copy will look fine. HD shines on
big screens but under 32" a good NTSC set & signal looks better
than HD IMHO.