Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-05-2022, 01:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast View Post
I worked on very low numbers of Sharp and Toshiba VCRs relative to other brands.

I can give you some numbers. From 1989 to 1998 out of 111 brands (mostly VCRs) that our shop took in I worked on (which doesn't mean "fix" - but at least took the top off of): 226 Toshiba; 452 Sharp; 602 GE; 1,224 Zenith and 2,758 RCA.
Very nice info... On the GE, do you mean the VCRs were mostly made by Matsushita or Panasonic? On the Zenith, were they mostly made by GoldStar that failed? What about Zenith VCRs made by JVC, the one with an idler-tire, high failure or not?
Old 11-05-2022, 05:24 PM
blast, blast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Very nice info... On the GE, do you mean the VCRs were mostly made by Matsushita or Panasonic? On the Zenith, were they mostly made by GoldStar that failed? What about Zenith VCRs made by JVC, the one with an idler-tire, high failure or not?
Since we've already crapped all over this thread I guess it appears to have played itself out anyways. So...

To answer your question I can't break it out much better than that. GE's were Panasonics up until around '88, '89 when some Samsungs were thrown in (VG7500, 7515). Then, there were some IVP's (International Video Products, a venture with Toshiba VG4218 along with some TV/VCRs 13TVR60, for one) and some Daewoos thrown in here and there in the late '90's (VG4053, VG4056)... So, I guess the majority of that number were likely Panasonic built.

Zenith's were JVC built until the late 80's when Goldstar units started appearing. But, I definitely can't break out how many of each without doing a LOT more research. And, that's above my pay grade. Sorry.