Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Soldering Stations

Not sure if this the right place so please move it if need be.
What kind of soldering equipment is everyone using? I have just gone through my third Weller WES51 station, they last just over a year and stop working. The warrant period is 1 year, great engineering it would seem! Well strike three and your out, no more Wellers for me. What are you all using and how have they been working? My iron is on 4-5 hours a day so does get a lot of use.

Gregb
Old 02-01-2016, 10:20 PM
M is for Memory

I use two Weller guns (old 75W-150W, new 75W), and a big 30's 150W craftsman soldering iron (that thing could solder two Buick 225s together). I'm cheap so a full blown station seems like a waste of cash to me....I could not find a new iron that last's more than a year so I no longer buy new irons unless they are being offered under $6.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 02-02-2016 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've been using the same Weller pencil tip iron my uncle bought in 1978 for all general purpose soldering from small splices to QFP reflows. Only need to bring the gun out when it's an older TV or radio.

How the heck are you burning through WES51's like that? You've gone through $450 in soldering irons.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

The very first Weller I bought was in the 70's and it just quit about 4 years ago when I bought the first WES51. I don't know why they aren't lasting but like I said I do use it a lot, 4-5 hours a day and sometimes 8-10. The controllers seem ok, its always the pencil that fails.

Gregb
Old 02-02-2016, 08:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've been using a 35 watt weller pencil iron since about 1991 or 1992. My kill a watt says it's actually consuming 30 watts, maybe the elements aged, but it still works great and no intention to replace. It's from when weller was made in Canada, i think the quality has gone down, the made in Mexico tips don't last like the old
One's did. I sure don't use it for 4-5 hours per day, but it has seen LOTS of use. How about a normal iron for normal jobs and a station for precise work?

What's the mode of failure with your stations, is it the element or the station itself? Weller has historically offered replacement elements
Audiokarma
Old 02-02-2016, 08:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have used the Weller WTCPT & its predecessor since the
1970's. My current one is about 20 yrs old. All failures
have been the element. If you carefully follow directions
changing & using it they last a long time. One thing is
Chinese "quality" may be involved now.

73 Zeno
Old 02-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I used a Weller WTCPN on my bench at work about 25 years. On 5 to 7 hours a day. The heating element failed a few times, and I had to re-cap the temp controller board insider the base. I have that station here at the house now. Can't get parts for it anymore, so I picked a couple more off ebay cheap for parts. Pretty easy to change tips and the adjustable heat was needed for the work I did, from soldering SMD components to desoldering metal shields.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

What's the mode of failure with your stations, is it the element or the station itself? Weller has historically offered replacement elements[/QUOTE]

I am sure its the element but from what I can see they don't offer a replacement element just a whole new pencil. The local electronics place wants $80 for a new pencil and a whole new station is $120. I checked on ebay and the pencils sell for $45-$50 US and that translates to about $80-$90 landed here.

Gregb
Old 02-02-2016, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregb View Post
What's the mode of failure with your stations, is it the element or the station itself? Weller has historically offered replacement elements
I am sure its the element but from what I can see they don't offer a replacement element just a whole new pencil. The local electronics place wants $80 for a new pencil and a whole new station is $120. I checked on ebay and the pencils sell for $45-$50 US and that translates to about $80-$90 landed here.

Gregb[/QUOTE]

I see your point. That would be fine economics for 5 or ten years of use, but three in three years is nonsense! I wonder if this item couldn't be made to work as a replacement

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-50W-5-Ho...0AAOSwd0BVph9G

It looks to have the same specs (24V, 50W) as original... may need some fiddling with the thermocouple and connector but hey look at the price

Last edited by maxhifi; 02-02-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Might be worth a try. I am heading over to the electronics store this afternoon to try an argue my case. Wish me luck!
I sent an email to Weller explaining what's happening and will see what they say as well.

Gregb
Audiokarma
Old 02-02-2016, 06:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mat Electronics sell parts.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ive been using a very antique Weller, from the 40's?, looks like something out of Frankenstein's lab. It has an exposed steel core, with 2 side plates bolted on. I did replace the asbestos cord, however. Also have a '60s Craftsman- I think its a 150W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old-Weller-Soldering-Gun.jpg (13.7 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Olorin67; 02-02-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well they felt bad for me and gave me another one. I hope it lasts a little longer but the guy said they aren't meant for the kind of use I use it for. Its meant more for a hobbist than industrial use. They also said that the pencils never seem to fail, always the controllers which is not my case.

Gregb
Old 02-02-2016, 09:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Has anyone ever tried one of these?

https://m.americanbeautytools.com/St...ontrollers/95#!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

They sure look pretty interesting, made in the US, industrial rated, may have to consider one next time.

Gregb
Audiokarma