Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:27 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephdaniel View Post
here are the pics.
I noticed a three-pin connector on the same panel with the Redi-Plug which, as radiotvnut mentioned, is just a plastic knockout plug covering a hole in which other accessories (such as security alarm sensors and the like, as radiotvnut also mentioned) were installed. The 3-pin socket is labeled "antenna switch accessory" -- I wonder what that is connected to and what its function was. Obviously it is for some kind of antenna switch, but I wonder if this series of Zenith TVs actually had antenna-switching systems (operated with the remote or by way of a switch on the front of the set) or if this is just a dummy socket not presently connected to anything, but could be if such an accessory became available some time after the set was sold.

Many Zenith TVs of the 1980s, especially those designed for commercial use (hotels/motels, schools, hospitals, et al), had such plugs and sockets for accessory devices such as in-house cable tuning adapters, alarms, etc. LG's website (www.lg.com or www.zenith.com) does have a section on their commercial products that states such TVs are set up for in-house cable tuning, in-house information channels, programmable (from a central location) channel lockout, and a host of other features not found in televisions designed for use in private homes. Some of these sets could even be remotely (from a central location) programmed so that the volume could not be increased beyond a certain level; this feature would most likely be found on sets installed in motels and hospitals, so the sound would not disturb others -- even if the set's volume control was turned to maximum.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 08-07-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Learning as I go

well i just checked inside and there are three wires going to it a yellow one a white one and a red one i will get pics in a min.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Learning as I go

here are the pics of inside. what i thought was a channel indicator was actually a IR sensor. I was hoping there whold be some sticker inside saying that the sat had had an alignment and new caps done in 2011...
The last pic is showing where the antenna trner jack connects to the tuner board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0018[1].jpg (96.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0017[1].jpg (99.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0016[1].jpg (99.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0015[1].jpg (71.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0014[1].jpg (66.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-07-2012, 10:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen a similar plug used on hospital TV's to connect a pillow speaker. The ones I remember had a volume control knob on the pillow speaker and a channel button that would advance the channels in one direction and turn the set off.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Learning as I go

I would think that it would be for something like an antenna disconnect or maybe a close/distant switch or something like that.
Audiokarma
Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Learning as I go

just went to putt it back together and look what i see a jumped resistor with a diode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0019[1].jpg (69.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

It looks like the REDI-Plug is not knocked out, but that little 3 pin din is for an antenna switch operated by the set.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Learning as I go

So what exactly is a antenna switch?