Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Modulating Madness

Panasonic RF-505

Some help here as I am new to collecting..

Scored this radio for a 1$. Works perfectly. Problem is I think it's ugly lol.
As ugly as I find it the FM/AM reception on it is superb and it works flawlessly.
Definitely not a true pocket radio unless you rip your pockets open to fit it.

Lots of AF and bass for the size when using the internal speaker. This little rig actually puts out enough audio to fill a few rooms when working and you'd have no idea you were listening to a tiny speaker and not a large boombox.

So here's my question.. Is this worth anything? I can't imagine this thing is collectable besides for personal use. It's so ugly in my opinion. What were they thinking putting round dials in portables back then?

Here's the back side if interested in this little eye sore..

I dunno, maybe I am too young, but this thing is ugly. The sad part is that it picks up stations better than most antique transistorized portables I have owned lol. Got to love Panasonic for releasing some strange units that pull in signals like they are starving
Old 07-12-2011, 01:32 AM
M is for Memory

I have a 70's or 80's panasonic AM only that when I lived in the Chicago suburbs about 10 years back I used to listen to "When Radio Was" on WGN at midnight, and while waiting for it to start I used to DX the AM band and got stations as far off as Texas!

Not pretty, valuable, or sought after, but those panasonics were solid preformers.

Tom C.
PS thanks for bringing back a bunch of good memorys.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's not old enough or rare enough to be valuable. But hang on to it; in maybe 30 years or less someone might offer you enough to tempt you. Unfortunately, by then all radio will probably be digital and this thing won't receive any signals.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 AM
radiodayz

I wouldn't say it's ugly, just kind of ordinary looking. If you ever decide you can't stand having it around, I could probably be persuaded to take it off your hands ;-).