Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Do used betacam sp tapes have value?

Hi.

I have several hundred once-used Betacam SP tapes of varying lengths in their cases. Are they worth anything or should I chuck them?

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Administrator

It depends what's on them.
If it's off the air recordings from the 70's there might very well be some interest in them.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

They are all technical lectures and presentations from the IEEE and AT&T from the 70s to the early 90s.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:50 PM
M is for Memory

The content may have value if copies of it were not preserved by the IEEE and AT&T.

The cassettes may have value to folks like me who collect outdated recording formats and want a few dozen tapes for each format they own. If the content has no value, then I'd try putting one lot of ~10 tapes at a time on ebay for 5-15$ starting bid per lot and see what they do. Even ~1$ per tape for several hundred tapes is better than 0$ trashing something that is no longer being made.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-15-2013, 06:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

If the tapes are truely 70's the ATT tapes may be interesting if they have some of their technical operations documented. ATT was the long-lines of all three networks in the day. On Friday afternoons after the networks went dark after the soaps for the afternoon, ATT would feed a BW program explaining all the weekend NFL timings and patchings for Sunday games.

It was a treat to watch. A bunch of guys in white shirts and ties with shirt-pocket pencil protectors in place explaining every hard-patch from stadium to NY, all the patch points along the way, all the times that a second game should be patched to NY, and all the patches from NY to the regions that would get any game. It went for 20-30 minutes on our feed at my CBS affilliate.

This ATT video from 1967 shows a bit of the ATT video at 13:00 in. (And some looks at early color from the day). And then more on voice/teletype services. This is how it used to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAJpionUxJ8
Old 12-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Betacam has large and small cassettes. The small-format Betacam SP tapes are usable in ED Beta VCRs, and the BCT-90 small-format tape is equivalent to an EL-750 (three hour) ED Beta tape, which was a size never sold as a true ED Beta cassette.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 01-16-2014, 02:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSEnterprise View Post
Hi.

I have several hundred once-used Betacam SP tapes of varying lengths in their cases. Are they worth anything or should I chuck them?

Thanks.
Betacam SP was not created until the late 80's. It is still a very viable format for youtube. I would be interested in some of your tapes, especially the 90 minute ones and if they were made by Sony.

Last edited by BetacamSPMan; 01-16-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: changed date of creation to late 80's.