Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Noisey VHS recordings from DTV

So I've been trying to record my favorite METV shows on VHS using an RCA antenna into an Insignia converter. The converter is wired to my VCR with a coax cable with another coax going out from the VCR to my little 12 inch Zenith knob tuned set. Problem is, when ever I make a recording, it comes out very quite upon playback (regardless of which VCR/TV I use it on), and when I raise the volume to comfotably audible levels (my hearing is fine so it's not "cranked"), the sound is really "hissy", if that makes sense. My mom says she's experienced the same at her house. Here's what I've tried so far:

1) A different VCR to record with

2) Different coax cables

3)Verifying converter box sound output is set to "mono" (recommended when using coax)

4)Jacking the sound on the converter box

5) Running A/V cables from box to VCR, while keeping coax from VCR to tv (wouldn't work at all in this configuration)

It's not bad to listen to at first but it does get annoying after a while and some of the commercials have a really loud hum. If it helps at all, I am recording in SLP mode to get 6hrs of programming onto each tape.

I tried calling Insignia and the outsourced representative didn't understand my complaint as her suggestion was "....just wire the converter box to the tv and skip the VCR"

So, has anyone heard of this, is there a noise filter they sell?

Btw, the sound is otherwise fine on this tv,converter vcr set up, only the recorded sound isn't good.

Thanks.

Al
Old 01-27-2014, 12:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro in RI View Post
So I've been trying to record my favorite METV shows on VHS using an RCA antenna into an Insignia converter. The converter is wired to my VCR with a coax cable with another coax going out from the VCR to my little 12 inch Zenith knob tuned set. Problem is, when ever I make a recording, it comes out very quite upon playback (regardless of which VCR/TV I use it on), and when I raise the volume to comfotably audible levels (my hearing is fine so it's not "cranked"), the sound is really "hissy", if that makes sense. My mom says she's experienced the same at her house. Here's what I've tried so far:

1) A different VCR to record with

2) Different coax cables

3)Verifying converter box sound output is set to "mono" (recommended when using coax)

4)Jacking the sound on the converter box

5) Running A/V cables from box to VCR, while keeping coax from VCR to tv (wouldn't work at all in this configuration)

It's not bad to listen to at first but it does get annoying after a while and some of the commercials have a really loud hum. If it helps at all, I am recording in SLP mode to get 6hrs of programming onto each tape.

I tried calling Insignia and the outsourced representative didn't understand my complaint as her suggestion was "....just wire the converter box to the tv and skip the VCR"

So, has anyone heard of this, is there a noise filter they sell?

Btw, the sound is otherwise fine on this tv,converter vcr set up, only the recorded sound isn't good.

Thanks.

Al
Your #3 configuration is the only way I do it. Using the A-V outs from the DTV converter to the VCR. You have to make sure to select the proper input on the VCR. It should be L1 or L2, depending on the VCR.
It depends a lot on the VCR. I get great results from my converters, used for recording.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Is the VCR a Hi-Fi model or just Mono.
The older Mono VCRs have very poor sound in six hour mode because the tape is moving so slowly.
A Hi-Fi VCR records the sound on a helical track so the speed is the same (and very high) regardless of the recording mode.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

As dieseljeep and Eric mentioned, figure out the settings to use the audio/video signals from the digital tuner into the VCR, don't even think of "recording channel 3" from the box! (On some VCRs, the is an input-select switch; on others, the video input may be a "channel" lower than channel 2.)

Don't try to jam six hours of video onto each tape; spend a whole $1 per hour (or less, maybe far less if you find used tapes!) on your recordings using the SP mode for only two hours per T-120 tape. The reduced stress on the VCR from less use of fast-forward and rewind alone may pay for the extra cost of tapes, not to even mention the far better quality of the recordings, the REAL reason to use the SP mode. (Get an old VHS tape rewinder to save the most wear-and-tear on the machine.)

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Cool. Thanks so much for all the good tips.

I tried a hi fi and mono vcr. I'll play with the av cables and vcr settings next and let you know how I made out.

Thanks again.

Al
Audiokarma
Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
As dieseljeep and Eric mentioned, figure out the settings to use the audio/video signals from the digital tuner into the VCR, don't even think of "recording channel 3" from the box! (On some VCRs, the is an input-select switch; on others, the video input may be a "channel" lower than channel 2.)

Don't try to jam six hours of video onto each tape; spend a whole $1 per hour (or less, maybe far less if you find used tapes!) on your recordings using the SP mode for only two hours per T-120 tape. The reduced stress on the VCR from less use of fast-forward and rewind alone may pay for the extra cost of tapes, not to even mention the far better quality of the recordings, the REAL reason to use the SP mode. (Get an old VHS tape rewinder to save the most wear-and-tear on the machine.)
I've been hitting the thrifts and finding never used VHS tapes for $.50 each. I only buy the name brand tapes. I even picked up two super VHS tapes for the same price. Maxells.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

It is likely that you'll need to turn the volume all the way up on the converter box. You can experiment by taking a "known good" pre-recorded tape, listening to it, and then trying to reproduce that volume level on your recordings by adjusting the volume of the converter box. In your adjustments, there will come a point where increases in converter output don't result in increased level on the tape. That's the place to stop. The specifics of how it's connected to your VCR shouldn't matter...

Chip
Old 01-28-2014, 11:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
It is likely that you'll need to turn the volume all the way up on the converter box. You can experiment by taking a "known good" pre-recorded tape, listening to it, and then trying to reproduce that volume level on your recordings by adjusting the volume of the converter box. In your adjustments, there will come a point where increases in converter output don't result in increased level on the tape. That's the place to stop. The specifics of how it's connected to your VCR shouldn't matter...

Chip
I always run my DTV converters with the volume maxed.
In the original post, The writer specified the he had an Insignia converter. Magnavox converters and certain sets, just don't seem to work well together, regarding the sound, using the RF out. Not sure about VCR recording.