Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

My daily watcher is a RCA combo with a ctc-40 chassis....love it.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:14 PM
VK Member

I currently watch all my television shows on a 1980 Zenith console. My oldest daughter has a 1970’s Zenith console in her room she watches TV on. I also watch shows on a 1986 Curtis Mathes. Personally I like the old girls and I like my 1988 Lincoln Town car also. I guess I am stuck in the past, but it is better for me there. My mother had a 1978 Magnavox console in her room going 24 hours a day seven days a week. She move out into a apartment but the huge Magnavox is still in her old room ready to play for another marathon.
This is our Zenith in the living-room she is watched every day.

Last edited by Glenn Waters; 02-16-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Mark

Welcome to VK Glenn, thanks for sharing!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 02-10-2010, 06:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Waters View Post
I guess I am stuck in the past, but it is better for me there.

Boy aint that the truth, I am with you there brother
Old 02-10-2010, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Glenn, glad you posted here-I've enjoyed your threads on ARF. Good to have a resident Curtis Mathes expert!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:09 PM
VK Member

C.R.T. Televisions the only way to live!

Here is Grantley and Charis watching one of their show on the 1986 Curtis Mathes.

And this is the Zenith Console in my living room that I watch every night.

Some times we fire up all three C.R.T tv's in the living room for special nights.

Charis is drinking nonalcoholic grape juice in this photo.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I like the TV wall, I will have show that one to my wife, I need that kind of display, could solve my current over stock situation!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 PM
VK Member

We could save a lot of space in landfills if more people would go with the TV wall look. I think it is a show of pride in the good old stuff made in America if will try to save as many consoles as we can.

I can proudly say that both Karah and Cora are expert at the art of salvage and retrival of vintage items from dumpsters and landfills.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

You sure have raised 'em right!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

My little 13" Sony KV-1371R is NOT the "kitchen TV" anymore.

It now serves me daily on a converter, to watch RTV and THIS , along with some network programming. It typically runs from 6-9 and then from 10-11PM every weeknight, and sometimes all afternoon, if I am not working(which has been a LOT lately). RTV is showing some nice old shows every day. THIS sometimes shows good movies, and such.

The 25 year old Trinitron set still works like new. The tube looks like new, with great "trinitron" color. I turn it on, and it works EVERY time!! l It has outlasted probably 5-7 flat panels!! ONE repair, about 12 years ago, to replace the regulator IC, and do some "PM" resoldering.

Last edited by rca2000; 02-18-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: grammar
Audiokarma
Old 02-18-2010, 04:03 PM
VK Member

Thank you bgadow,
Karah just loves her 1960 Curtis Mathes Radio! She rescued this big beauty just in time before it was about to fall into a trash compactor. Some folks in this world would throw solid 24kt gold bars away, I just do not understand it.
There was nothing wrong with it at all, the sound is wonderful. We just gave it a good cleaning. I guess since it was old and made in Texas and not China the nuts just threw her away.
[/URL]
Old 02-18-2010, 11:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Waters View Post
Thank you bgadow,
Karah just loves her 1960 Curtis Mathes Radio! She rescued this big beauty just in time before it was about to fall into a trash compactor. Some folks in this world would throw solid 24kt gold bars away, I just do not understand it.
There was nothing wrong with it at all, the sound is wonderful. We just gave it a good cleaning. I guess since it was old and made in Texas and not China the nuts just threw her away.
[/URL]
I have one that is like that big one on the bottom, I think. A NICE table radio, with a pretty big woofer, I think 8", and maybe a 3" tweeter. An SE 6BQ5 amp, and a cold chassis with a 6CA4 rectifier I think !! Mine was a flea--Mkt. find about 10 yrs. ago, for maybe $15 or so. never seen another like it it, till now. I can't BELIEVE someone tossed that!! Idiots!!

At least now it is safe, and will be appreciated.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Waters
Thank you bgadow,
[/URL]
Absolutely beauitifull

I hope she holds onto them AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!!

Thanx for sharing
Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 AM
<----Zenith C845

That Curtis-Mathes radio looks like a treasure. I've never seen a table radio that big in my life, except perhaps for my Zenith MJ-1035; in fact, I never knew CM made stand-alone radios until now--I always thought Curtis-Mathes was mainly a TV manufacturer. I knew someone in the '60s-'70s in my hometown whose family had a huge CM color console TV with the works--television, AM/FM stereo radio, phono--and they kept it for years. I've been away for ten years (moved to my current residence in late '99) so I don't know whether they still have the TV in their basement, etc. or even if they still live where they lived when I knew them.

Did you have to do anything with the CM, such as recapping, or did it work as soon as it was plugged in the first time? Most of my vintage radios are eBay scores and have worked as soon as I took them out of their shipping boxes--no recapping or anything else was required to get them working. The only exception to this was my Zenith H511, which was the radio that started my vintage radio collection. It was an eBay score, and when it arrived here, I plugged it in--and the pilot light behind the Z crest on the cabinet promptly burned out with a bright flash. I think that must have been because the main 3-section filter cap had become deformed from years of disuse; my best guess is this radio must have been in storage in the former owner's basement, garage, etc., unused, for years or decades.

However, when I replaced the pilot light, the radio worked perfectly, and still works to this day, almost five years or so (and almost six decades after it was made) later. Sounds great too. Typical Zenith. Now, if there only were more music stations on AM, I would be using it a lot more than I do (I don't care much for talk radio).

BTW, what is the unit Karah's CM radio is resting on? Looks to me like a combo DVD/VHS player. Does she have a flat-panel TV to go with it? Just curious.

My Zenith radio collection to date:

MJ1035 (1965)
H511 (1951)
K731 (1963)
C845 (1960)
H480W (1980)
R-70 (1980)
Royal 1000 T-O (1958)

All are keepers--I would not dream of throwing any of those radios away or giving them away. I've had a liking for Zenith radios, TVs, stereos, etc. for many years; my first Zenith TV was a K2739 23" b&w console from about 1963. When I found it on a curb in my hometown, it was missing all its tubes but the CRT and the 1K3 HV rectifier. Long story short, I replaced the missing tubes and was rewarded with an excellent picture and fantastic sound on all three (at the time, late 1960s) Cleveland TV stations. The audio section of that TV was so good I patched in an old FM tuner across the volume control, and made myself a nice mono sound system. It nearly broke my heart to have to give up this TV three years later, after all the work I put into it, when we moved. Haven't had a TV since that had such wonderful sound, although I could patch the audio output from my VCR or DVD player into my stereo system to get sound approaching that from the old Zenith. I may just do that one of these days; I have a 12'-long audio cable I used to use with the stereo when I had digital cable and its 30 CD-quality music channels. Looks like I may be putting it into service again soon.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 02-23-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Waters
I can proudly say that both Karah and Cora are expert at the art of salvage and retrival of vintage items from dumpsters and landfills.
Ah they take after you

Im proud of both of them...... They look young but they know what "GOOD" is.. I hope they dont ever lose that gift
Audiokarma