Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:10 PM
AK Member

Sony ICF-9650W Volume Issue.

This may need to go in the DIY forum but I figured I try here first.

I have the above radio. Great condition. The volume control knob when turned makes a very loud static"ky" sound but the volume itself does not seem to get any louder.

I was told I might need to replace the potentiometer. My question now is how do I find out what potentiometer to get?

Where can I get schematics for this radio?

Thank you all.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Shake it Shake it Sugaree

I just noticed your post - sorry nobody here at AK has responded yet. We normally are very good about helping 1st time posters.

I'm not an expert but I have repaired and refurbished my share of radios and I have the Sony ICF-9650W - which sounds very nice when cleaned.

Before you think about replacing the pot, get a can of DeoxIT contact cleaner, which is probably the best spray cleaner for precision electrical parts. Or, you can go to Home Depot and get a can of CRC QD Contact Cleaner, which is much cheaper than the DeoxIT and a little easier to find.

Here's what you do:

UNPLUG the radio first!

Find an access hole in the volume pot (you will have to open up the back of the radio and locate the back side of the volume pot) and give the inside of the pot a good shot of cleaner using the red tube supplied with the can. Then rotate the volume knob back and forth for awhile - longer is better. This allows the cleaner to remove the deposits that have accumulated on the contacts over the years (which prevent the pot from working as it should). It also allows the cleaner to dry.

Be careful if you use CRC, because the CRC is very flammable (most types of DeoxIT are not flammable). Never try to clean your radio while it is plugged in and only plug it in and turn it on when you are sure the cleaner has evaporated. If there is still static, unplug the radio and repeat the spray cleaning and knob rotating.

I hope this helps. In almost all cases, you will not need to replace your pot - a good cleaning with contact cleaner usually solves the problem.

David
Kenwood KA-80 & KT-80 (Sleepers!)
Technics SL-QD33
Klipsch RB-5, Sony SS-K90ED, SS-K30ED
Emotiva RPA-1 & RSP-1