Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quasar vh5846 composite video out problems

Hi In the first post I have on this VCR I fixed a rewind and fast forward problem I solved that . but Now Im not getting any video out the composite RCA Cable . I am getting sound in one channel and My video wont show no the television . My cables are fine . I thought I seen a post on a forum about bad caps on the video board for composite also the sound can be caused by bad caps . So my question is where is the boards I need to rebuild in it . I would need to rebuild the audio and videro boards on her . Which board are for video and audio . Oh Also Im getting sound and video on the RF cable out to the RF cable to the television . The signal is a little snow covered but I think my cable are bad on the connectors for coax cable . How can I fix this vcr . I want her working right .
Old 12-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Banned

Well The video and audio is on the same board and that board (picture please?) is usually either the very top board of the VCR or the very bottom board it all depends on where the RCA jacks are on the VCR (Are they on the top side of the back or the bottom side of the back?) Anyways usually with the Panasonic/Matsushida built VCRs (Panasonic or Quasar like yours) has each circuit marked (e.g. Power Circuit Ref. No. 1000) and in the case of the video circuit its more than likely gonna be marked on the board Video Circuit Ref. No. XXXX and the sound circuits are gonna be marked Audio Circuit Ref. No. XXXX.
And those circuit markings should be pretty easy to spot as its etched onto the board in white circuit board ink with the words "Audio Circuit Ref. No. XXXX" (the "X's" represent numbers that would be on the label) is surrounded by a rectangle and the same goes for the video circuit.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had My cable hooked up the wrong way in my television . I forgot to disconnect my S-Video cable and plugged in my composite cable . My television didn't like that and wouldn't display a video signal . After I removed the S-Video cable the picture came on . Im having a problem with the audio tracking in HIFI I get low sound and one channel . If adjust the tracking she will goto normal audio will light and its in linear mono audio . I had the audio working just fine on a small television fine but it for some reason went out . Im thinking I have a shorting cap in the audio board . It maybe a dirty head or a bad audio head too . Im not sure .
Old 12-26-2013, 08:24 AM
Banned

It might be just a dirty head, I know I've dealt with a lot of these old Panasonic made VCRs in the past and I've had tracking issues as well that a lot of times wouldn't be cured unless I cleaned the heads.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

I thought I cleaned the head But Ill try today again Im hoping that's it . I can get a replacement head if needed to .
Audiokarma
Old 12-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Banned

If you did I'm sorry for suggesting that, I read through your postings but I didn't see where you mentioned where you cleaned the heads already, I must have missed that by mistake.

When I was reading through it earlier it looked like it said that you were considering cleaning the heads or some other options, but like I said I must of misread your post.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

There just maybe dirt I missed on cleaning them . Im going to try again before ruling out the videohead or something bad on the audio board like bad caps . I thought when I was playing a tape last night she was tracking on the HIFI head but the sound kep switching from HIFI to normal mix . Im thinking maybe a piece of cotton is in it or its just got some dirt that need to be removed for the HIFI sound to track and come back .
Old 12-26-2013, 09:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

How can you tell if the video head is bad Just wondering . I was reading that you can look at them with magnifier glass to see them .
Old 12-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Banned

well, as far as how to tell if video/audio heads being bad I'm not sure about that but I know its rather easy to damage them if you aren't careful about how you clean them.
Just out of curiosity, have you tried a different tape and seen if the VCR tracks better with a different tape?
I know that sometimes a worn or damaged tape can sometimes cause a hifi VCR to track intermittently as far as audio and video goes and sometimes it can't always be fixed with the tracking control adjustment.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

I cleaned the heads and my sound is fine in the left HIFI Channel , But I have low sound level in the Right channel .The HIFI sound gets read off the video head right . My tape is fine I have a good tape and am getting the same thing off every tape it wont matter .Linear stereo is fine . Im wondering if the video head is bad . It looks fine to the eye but that's not the case , it may as well be bad or damaged on one of the heads reading the tape .. Ill Try cleaning the head once ome time to see .
Audiokarma
Old 12-26-2013, 02:05 PM
jbattles

bad heads

bad head shows streaks in picture a lot of snow and looks like the tracking is off, butt you just cant get it to lock in. that's what bad heads look like, if you clean with denatured alcohol and a clean lint free paper towel, and you wiped the whole drum. if your picture still looks bad you have bad heads. the audio heads are on the right its separate from the video drum.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

My problem is with low sound on the HIFI Sound from the right channel , the left is loud and fine the right channel is off Getting lower sound in the right channel . My picture s clear as a bell its my sound Im having problems with. Could my tape adjustments be off . But in linear stereo I get the two stereo channels .I wondering if the HIFI sound tracks are lower in the right cannel .I can adjust the tracking fine but like a said my stereo hifi channel is lower . Do I need my tape path adjusted ?.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

If it shows switched into HiFi mode when playing, then you should have equal output L and R. Tape path would effect both channels equally since the are picked up equally by the hifi heads on the head cylinder. The hifi audio tracks are two FM signals at 1.3 and 1.7 mHz combined together going to the hifi heads and records the composite hifi signal onto the tape just before the video heads.

Playback is a composite FM signal coming off the hifi heads and preamp that looks like the RF video head signal. This gets separated into L and R in the hifi FM audio demodulator process. May have a problem on the Hifi audio board.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

You have a schematic or a service manual you can share with me . Im Model is Quasar VH5846XE . Where is the HIFI audio board at in the player . I found the FM Audio Board in the top front of my machine .You think there's some bad Electrolytic capacitors on the HiFi Audio Board . I thought I read a post on another forum about bad caps or a single cap going bad on the audio board .
Old 12-26-2013, 05:39 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I may have a service manual but not handy. A friend had that same machine back in the '80s and ran who knows how many rental tapes through it to wear out two sets of heads before sending it off to the video graveyard.

As far as troubleshooting I'd guess yes probably a bad electrolytic or two, maybe more. This is where an ESR meter comes in handy. You can go through and easily check all the capacitors in circuit on a board, and replace the bad ones, or with no way to test, shotgun the whole thing with all new electrolytics.
Audiokarma