Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
IMHO VHS EP recording quality depends a lot on the deck. Some newer HiFi decks can record fairly decently on good tapes, and EP SVHS-ET tapes can preform almost as well as SP SVHS on a good blank...OTOH some early decks look TERRIBLE on EP even playing back a good tape.
It didn't help that most modern VCRs defaulted to EP recording speed. I have a GE here that had to be set to SP after plugging it in.

Panasonic actually created an even slower tape speed called "VP" on some of their DVD Recorder-VHS combo decks. It runs the tape 4X slower so you can squeeze 8 hours onto a T120 tape. With modern head design and no requirements for backwards compatibility, the recording quality is apparently decent. Some Amazon reviews even claim these "VP" speed tapes will playback on older VHS decks. I do wonder why anyone would be recording VHS tapes on a deck that has a superior quality DVD recorder attached to it though.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:03 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
It didn't help that most modern VCRs defaulted to EP recording speed. I have a GE here that had to be set to SP after plugging it in.

Panasonic actually created an even slower tape speed called "VP" on some of their DVD Recorder-VHS combo decks. It runs the tape 4X slower so you can squeeze 8 hours onto a T120 tape. With modern head design and no requirements for backwards compatibility, the recording quality is apparently decent. Some Amazon reviews even claim these "VP" speed tapes will playback on older VHS decks. I do wonder why anyone would be recording VHS tapes on a deck that has a superior quality DVD recorder attached to it though.
Wow I never heard of VP before!

There are two good reasons someone would want to record on both parts of a combo. The first one is that if you can't get your hands on one format of blank when you decide to record something last minute there is always a chance you can get the other. The second is that you can address a timer recording to either recorder and if you are recording stuff while away on a long trip the more hours you can record with one machine the better...I used to use 3-4 VHS decks on some roughly 3 week vacations I went on, and usually at least one had a T-180 9hour EP mode tape in it.

In a nutshell some folks care more about actually getting to watch their programs via time shifting then they do about the quality they see it in.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 01-15-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
Ironically, the longest lived and least repair prone Beta decks seem to be the ones that didn't keep the tape threaded for all operations.... Sanyo. Even the later VHS decks that kept the tape threaded don't seem to suffer from the drum wear problems Sony Betas had. The M-load system allowed the tape to be pulled away just enough from the drum during rew/ff operations but kept it against the ACE assembly for the real time time counter.

Sony eventually switched to M-loading in Video 8 decks for cost and reliability reasons too.
This is how I have gotten 20 years out of a betacam sp deck video head. I set the menu function to have the tape go off the head but not retract after one minute. The factory default was 8 minutes so if someone was too lazy to set it lower, odds are their video head wore out quicker.