Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

When those membrane keypads failed, I always programmed a universal remote to the set and told the customer to use the remote.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:53 AM
sampson159

those are really good sets with an excellent looking crt.make a fine picture when right.if it has the bose system,this is a killer set.grab it if the price is right.very scarce,you will probably never find another one.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:16 PM
<----Zenith C845

That set could have been made in the early 1980s. I had a Zenith four-mode integrated stereo system which had the Zenith nameplate at the far right side of the front panel, and I have a portable AM-FM Zenith transistor radio, early '80s vintage (late '81-'82), with the Zenith nameplate on the cabinet. (Both units were made by a Zenith subsidiary in Korea, as noted on the back covers.) I also have an amplified HDTV-ready indoor TV antenna, with the lightning-bolt logo on the housing near the amplifier gain control. However, it was not made by Zenith, which has been out of business for some time. Is the former Zenith logo (the lightning bolt) now in the public domain, meaning it can be used by anyone without fear of being sued for copyright or patent infringement?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:26 PM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
That set could have been made in the early 1980s. I had a Zenith four-mode integrated stereo system which had the Zenith nameplate at the far right side of the front panel, and I have a portable AM-FM Zenith transistor radio, early '80s vintage (late '81-'82), with the Zenith nameplate on the cabinet. (Both units were made by a Zenith subsidiary in Korea, as noted on the back covers.) I also have an amplified HDTV-ready indoor TV antenna, with the lightning-bolt logo on the housing near the amplifier gain control. However, it was not made by Zenith, which has been out of business for some time. Is the former Zenith logo (the lightning bolt) now in the public domain, meaning it can be used by anyone without fear of being sued for copyright or patent infringement?
No, I believe LG has acquired that particular portion of Zenith's corpse. (Holdings.)
Old 02-26-2015, 02:39 AM
Administrator

Well, looks like I'll be fighting single digit temps and snow up to my ass, but I'll make it to the sale on Saturday AM. What would you pay for it? Aside from the obvious "as little as possible"
Old 02-26-2015, 07:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Well, looks like I'll be fighting single digit temps and snow up to my ass, but I'll make it to the sale on Saturday AM. What would you pay for it? Aside from the obvious "as little as possible"
For its age the set has a lot going for it. Modern cabinet, rare,
a good set new etc. But these newer sets have no known value
as a rule. Not enuf sales & no outside the hobby demand YET
as a rule. If it had a strong jug & the cabinet were perfect I
may go $50- $100. Remember if you give them $50 they are
getting more like $75 since they dont have to pay to junk it.

good luck
73 Zeno
Old 02-26-2015, 09:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Back in the 80's I used to work for RCA Smirnoff Labs, and we had acquired in around 1986 a Zenith set that looked a lot like that. To see what our competition was doing.

The bosses were looking at it, I didn't get a chance to mess with it. Think Zenith was about to be bought by some Korean company then.

At the same time RCA was kicking around making a 32 inch CRT. We had a prototype, but someone managed to burn its heater out...
Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Back in the 80's I used to work for RCA Smirnoff Labs, and we had acquired in around 1986 a Zenith set that looked a lot like that. To see what our competition was doing.

The bosses were looking at it, I didn't get a chance to mess with it. Think Zenith was about to be bought by some Korean company then.

At the same time RCA was kicking around making a 32 inch CRT. We had a prototype, but someone managed to burn its heater out...
Smirnoff labs huh? That might explain the freaky CRT fault....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-27-2015, 05:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Something bothers me about this set. The more I look at
it the more I think its NOT a high end set. Its missing a
few things.
The 20" cube set I had was wood (genuine imitation ) had
side spkrs with fold out ears ( IIRC Y line. The styling was the same otherwise.
It also said Advanced System 3 & Stereo along the top.
Looking at this set I see none of that. Also at the bottom it looks
like the IR pickup AND a channel readout ? By then IIRC
almost all Zenith remotes had OSD. Wish I had the Y & Z
line folders, it will keep me awake now.

73 Zeno
Audiokarma
Old 02-27-2015, 05:36 PM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Something bothers me about this set. The more I look at
it the more I think its NOT a high end set. Its missing a
few things.
The 20" cube set I had was wood (genuine imitation ) had
side spkrs with fold out ears ( IIRC Y line. The styling was the same otherwise.
It also said Advanced System 3 & Stereo along the top.
Looking at this set I see none of that. Also at the bottom it looks
like the IR pickup AND a channel readout ? By then IIRC
almost all Zenith remotes had OSD. Wish I had the Y & Z
line folders, it will keep me awake now.

73 Zeno

I thought that those were a set of front A/V inputs with a pencil-box lid type thing hiding them. You're right, the more I look at it the more it does make sense to be the IR receiver and the auto-contrast (room light level) sensor...
Old 02-27-2015, 07:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

The more I look at this, the design looks like a 25" wooden cased tabletop Zenith that I once had. I think it was from '84-'85, had a flip down door with membrane keypad, and a green LED readout. It was not stereo and had no A/V input jacks. The chassis was the standard 9-181 signal module and a 9-186 sweep module. If this were a high end set, I think it would say "System 3" under the Zenith badge.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
The more I look at this, the design looks like a 25" wooden cased tabletop Zenith that I once had. I think it was from '84-'85, had a flip down door with membrane keypad, and a green LED readout. It was not stereo and had no A/V input jacks. The chassis was the standard 9-181 signal module and a 9-186 sweep module. If this were a high end set, I think it would say "System 3" under the Zenith badge.
I think you nailed it. It is in one nice looking cabinet though, I'd grab it if it were near me.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:50 AM
Administrator

The van's all ready...I'll be heading there in the morning to find out more, and come home with it if the price is right
Old 02-28-2015, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Went to the sale today, and I have to say that I was really underwhelmed by the set. It was marked $150, today being half price day it would have been $75. I didn't like it enough to even make an offer on it.

It was about a 21" screen, and only as tall as a 10" Admiral console. Heavy set, some kind of laminate over particle board with a plastic back that looked as if it was trimmed down from a table set.

Zenith model number SB2581Y .....I took a shot of the service tag on the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0228151006.jpg (54.6 KB, 48 views)