Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

72 Ranchero

I hardly have time to work on anything, but picked up another car this week. I've always liked the looks of the 72-76 Ranchero, and ultimately think this will make a nice console-hauler.

It's got a 302 / 2 barrel, and a 3 on the tree (which I've never seen in a 72-76 Ranchero). It's been sitting for a while, it idles kind of rough, but is ok once it gets going. Dual exhaust - but its full of holes. Transmission seems fine, but there's something up with the shift linkage, it's hard to get into first, and the clutch is super stiff (which I'm not used to). It has power steering, and the unusual combination of manual brakes - and front discs. No A/C.

There's a big dent over the rear left wheel, and the front right fender is full of bondo which is beginning to crack and fall off. (I took that picture very carefully so you can't really see it.) But there is no rust to speak of. The grille is badly damaged - I'll be looking for another. The tailgate is stuck closed. The rear tires are new, the front tires are bald. But I want to replace those chrome wheels with just regular 14" steel wheels and hubcaps anyway. (I have 2 of the original wheels, need to dig up two more).

The interior is not in the best condition, all upholstery / carpet really needs to be changed. Speedo doesn't work, neither does temp gauge. The original AM radio is still there, but somebody disconnected it and put a CD player under the dash. I plan to ditch the CD player and replace the original radio with a factory Ford radio with an 8-track (one of those quad ones if I can find it).

I have next week off, but plan to mostly try to finish replacing the heater core in my 83 Continental, so I can start using that car as a driver again - then park this in the garage and start working on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0290.jpg (83.2 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Adam; 03-13-2021 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:38 PM
M is for Memory

That's pretty cool!

If you decide to add power brakes you might want to try the hydraulic booster the Lincoln Mark V uses...It runs off the power steering pump and makes hard wheel locking stops VERY easy to accomplish.

Some years back I was looking at some of the late 70s rancheros with the uglier square headlamp front ends and learned that the late 70s models are built such that you can bolt the hidden headlamp thunderbird front clips of the same year on in place of the original without modification... apparently it was/is a popular mod for those cars.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-13-2021, 04:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

I always thought the 72+ Torinos were cool, but man are they ugly!

That's a really cool Ranchero though, I'd love to have it. Ugly and all
Old 03-13-2021, 10:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

2 barrel 302 huh? I bet it has some real crappy rear gear ratio too, like a 2.73 or something. Oof.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

I didn't get this for speed, I just wanted an interesting hauler. While I'd eventually like to hot-rod my 84 Firebird (and swap the V6 for a V8), on this I'll probably just leave the 2-barrel (you never see an engine with just a 2-barrel carb anymore) It's got the 9" rear, I don't know the ratio.

I've always liked the looks of these. I would say they are the second best looking era of Rancheros after the 57-59.

I would like to eventually change to power brakes. That Lincoln hydroboost looks interesting. I imagine I would have to swap the ps pump as well as the add the booster and master cylinder.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

If the stock ratio is worse than like...a 3.08, I'd definitely recommend upgrading just for driveability reasons. Those old tall gear ratios were supposedly for "economy" but tended to just result in a sluggish vehicle.

Based on this old forum thread I found, the base rear gear ratio (in a Torino at least) with the 302 and a 3-speed manual is a 3.00, which would be perfectly fine.

http://forum.grantorinosport.org/fou...topic6640.html

Last edited by ESigma25; 03-14-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Got rid of the crappy particle board speaker boxes behind the seat (one of which was full of dead mice), and the CD player - which was just hanging under the dash by one screw. The dash is now all cracked where the radio was attached, and somebody cut really messy looking holes in the kick panels to mount speakers (which I'm just going to leave in there for now).

People do such goofy stuff for car audio sometimes. I left the modern CD player in my Firebird (even though I eventually want to return it to a cassette) because it was installed well and it sounds good, so it doesn't really bother me that much. But this set up looked like it was done by the three stooges.

I could hook up the original AM only radio, but I got a Ford 8-track radio on the way here now, so I'll probably just wait for that.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

I looked into the rear axle ratio: In '72 they ranged from 2.75 to 3.91. I have the 3.25.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:09 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I would like to eventually change to power brakes. That Lincoln hydroboost looks interesting. I imagine I would have to swap the ps pump as well as the add the booster and master cylinder.
Not necessarily. I believe that the pressure line is run in series from the brake booster to the power steering, but each unit has its own return line to the pump. You might be able to Y the return lines together to use the factory pump...

I have digital copies of the 1978 Ford/Lincoln/Merc shop manuals. If you want I could email you the chassis manual (~160mb) that details how the brake/steeing hydro-boost was put together in the various cars and trucks that offered it as well as all the vacuum boost systems that year.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had a 1974 I drove a few years with a 351W auto. I loved that car and it was my most comfortable seat for long drives Ive ever owned but thats just opinions.

They likely (but not positively) never used the 2.73 or 2.75 with clutches. Those were with auto trannies. Im not sure I would call that one a dog either. My 77 TBird had one and it was fine. i have similar gearing in my 1992 ford truck with auto right now and it can still pull. But I put a C6 tranny in it as they are bullet proof.

I was never a fan of carbed 302's but some people liked them. Those carbs are super easy to rebuild.
Audiokarma
Old 03-16-2021, 09:48 PM
The Resident Brony

Cool. I was in Phoenix a week ago, and I also picked up a POS- I mean Ford. Yours looks much nicer than mine. I think I might've seen yours in either craigslist or offerup while I was looking. Not sure. Definitely saw a couple of Ranchero's.

Also yeah, manual brakes are shit. Was actually just talking about a customer's Fairlane or 500 (some 60s Ford) with my dad and our employee. It's a bitch to drive, with no seat belts, manual brakes - drums with a single master, and no power steering. But it had a big motor. Going was easy, stopping and turning were very unpleasant, and sliding all over the vinyl seat was a little unsettling as well.

I can't imagine upgrading would be that hard. It's probably the same exact master with or without the booster, probably all you need is the booster and a vacuum hose.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I didnt think of this before, but I had a 1973 ford truck with manual breaks. I bought a rebuilt or new brake booster with matching master cylinder thru Advanced Auto. It wasnt cheap as I didnt have a core but it was money well spent. My truck has drum rear but I think its disc front.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Huh never knew they came with discs and manual brakes. Either way don't skip leg day!
Old 04-03-2021, 10:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Haven't done anything with the Ranchero yet, except drive it around the block a few times.

I picked up one of those Ford (made by Motorola) quad 8-track radios to put in it. The 8-track works, but the radio is completely dead on FM. I need a schematic, and I'm not having any luck digging up a manual. It's in Sams AR-274, anyone out there with one?
Old 04-03-2021, 09:41 PM
M is for Memory

If it's the same analog one as I got from you years ago then I believe I have the sams for it...I just gotta find it.

Quick service tip: mine worked great till I opened it up then I lost AM and was driving my self nuts trying to figure it out. The variable coils on the mech go to a plastic plug that connects into IIRC the top PCB. The spring contacts in the plug can break off and make pins go open circuit. I ended up just soldering in a jumper after I found the problem.

Audiokarma