Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-04-2023, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Any guesses on this TV?

HI - I'm hoping someone can make a guess on an old TV. I don't have a picture, model # or manufacturer. BUT - I can tell you this much. In the middle 1960's when I was a kid, a local discount store had a pallet of small BW TV sets inside the front of the store. They were priced at $66. I would have loved to have one but that was a lot of money for a kid back then and I didn't have it.

I've collected a number of smaller sets from the early 60's era - a few Sony's, a Singer, a JVC, even a Symphonic. (To me an old TV isn't a real TV if it doesn't have click VHF tuning.)

I really doubt that the $66 TV at the discount store was any of those brands I just mentioned, based on the prices I've seen that they were sold for. There must have been some cheap (probably Japanese at the time) TV's that were sold back then - does anyone have any guesses what kind those might have been at the discount store? Thanks!

Last edited by rspree; 08-04-2023 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2023, 01:57 AM
Retired Batwings Tech

:
Old 08-05-2023, 06:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

My guess its a GE 12 inch B&W. Should be a bunch of Compactrons inside.
Old 08-05-2023, 08:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC Tech-109 View Post
:
This thread is worthless if you don't actually read my post.
If I had pics I could just look at them, couldn't I? I more or less explained why I don't have any.
I was hoping that someone would recall possibly some of the small minor-brand Japanese TV makers of the era who might have sold such TVs then - as I have no recollection from 55-60 years ago what the TV might have been.

Last edited by rspree; 08-05-2023 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2023, 08:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
It's probably one of the early Japanese offerings. The OP didn't mention the screen size. Many were Sharp, Midland and a few similar lower-end makes sold as close-outs.
Audiokarma
Old 08-05-2023, 08:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Thanks very much. I'll see what I can find for cheap GE and Midland TV's from back then. (Based on their transistor radios I wonder if Sharp would have been a cheap brand?) I'm not sure if the TV was as big as 12" but I suspect anything really small would have also been more expensive than $66l
Maybe I can also search newspaper archives for some of that store's ads of the day, and find it listed in their advertising pages.
They sold those sets for a while but I never made it halfway to the $66. The fact that the cartons where stacked on a pallet right inside the front of the store suggests to me that they were some sort of special deal or closeout.

Last edited by rspree; 08-05-2023 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Back in the 60's we had a store called Kennedy and Cohen. They sold a 12 inch set made by Bohsei for 39 dollars if you bought a major appliance, otherwise, they sold for 69 dollars. GE and Admiral also sold 9 inch sets for 69 dollars.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damen View Post
Back in the 60's we had a store called Kennedy and Cohen. They sold a 12 inch set made by Bohsei for 39 dollars if you bought a major appliance, otherwise, they sold for 69 dollars. GE and Admiral also sold 9 inch sets for 69 dollars.
K&C was a Florida-based concern that conjured up the name from two of the most common names in Florida at the time! It was the original bate and switch operation at the time. They also had a store in Milwaukee. Heavy advertising!
Actually, the Bohsei set was a rebadged AOC, made by Admiral in Taiwan.
Old 08-05-2023, 02:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

The only Asian sets I ever saw in the 60's, where I was (Charleston), were color Sonys . And they were expensive. But the small GE B&W sets were plentiful. And they were cheap. They had a flimsy plastic cabinet, that, if you dropped it, it was finished. Haven't seen one since the 70's.
Old 08-05-2023, 05:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds like a 9 inch tube based set. I'd go with Admiral, just going by the date and the price.
There wasn't a big flood of really cheap (sub $80) sets coming from japan till later on in the 60's, 1968 or so. They were around but not as many as later. Or at least this is what I've found from my research.

What did it look like?
Color of cabinet?
Controls , on the side, on the front right, controls on the bottom below the screen?
Name of discount store?

The more accurate you can describe it the more we can ID it. I've got an ongoing archive of pics of close to every mid 60's portable ever made and I likely have pictures of it.

This is the 1965 - 66 Admiral 9" that was in that price range

Audiokarma
Old 08-05-2023, 09:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remembered the Bohsei built sets were badged "Kenco", for the store name. Also saw the same sets labeled "Broadmoor".
Old 08-06-2023, 06:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Does it have continuously variable tuning for the UHF or is it click-stop? Click stop didn't come out till the 70's.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:55 PM
M is for Memory

In addition to newspapers if you can find a paper Sam's archive search about 3 years in either direction of the date you think you saw it...If it sold in reasonable quantity in the US there's probably a Sam's for it.

Quote:
The only Asian sets I ever saw in the 60's, where I was (Charleston), were color Sonys .
If I'm not mistaken the Sony chromatron and the Trinitron came out in the US in 1969, if you say those you're lucky if you say anything else earlier and it was a Sony it would change the history I know and I'd be interested to know the model.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-07-2023, 10:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

It was July of '68:
https://www.earlytelevision.org/sony_chromatron.html
Only the wealthy had them, doctors, lawyers, politicians.

Rspree, why don't you just take some pictures and post them here? This forum thrives on pictures.
Old 08-07-2023, 04:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspree View Post
..... They were priced at $66. I would have loved to have one but that was a lot of money for a kid back then and I didn't have it.....
Hi kf4rca, From this sentence of the original post, I do not think rspree ever had the TV in question, so I don't think he has anything to take pics of?
Audiokarma