Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2018, 12:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

11L43 "motel" Predicta: advice needed

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I've been on here; it's nice to see that some of the old names are still around! I picked up an 11L43 Predicta ('61 date codes), in unknown working condition (though it had been powered up recently). Getting it home and opening it up, I was expecting the worst, but was greatly surprised to find a clean chassis with only some surface dust (not the caked on mess you sometimes see), and some orange drops and other newer looking caps with nicely trimmed/routed leads and clean, professional soldering. I didn't pull the chassis, but that was what I could see from the top. Given that it had been already powered up, I decided to carefully do so myself just to see what I had to work with. To my amazement, upon control adjustment I was greeted with a clear, centered, beautiful picture and excellent sound. I actually watched it for about three hours without any kind of fault, other than a slightly shrinking vertical after the set was on for a while that the height/v-lin controls couldn't adjust completely (they were maxed and there were still small gaps at the top and bottom). In all, it was really unexpected, and since then I've been using it quite often with similar great results.

So my question is this: given how well the set seems to operate, am I better off leaving well enough alone? I had figured that the full servicing would be necessary, but the set was apparently owned at one point by a radio/TV hobbyist, so I was told; I would assume that he must have done some work on it, although how extensive it was I can't say. I'd like to fix the vertical issue (any suggestions on that?), but otherwise it seems to operate so beautifully that maybe going into it might be a case of "fixing" something that doesn't need it. I should admit that I'm not an experienced TV restorer by any means, and don't have specialized test equipment, so anything beyond basic repairs would probably have to be sent out to a shop (yet to be found). Any advice is welcome.