Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

40 inch Vizio at the curb..

I found a Vizio VW42L HDTV10A 40 inch set across the street at the curb from my friends house yesterday.

I found the service manual online which was great.The set does not power up .It was an nightmare to pop off the back with the dozens of screws holding it on.I looks at the PS and the fuse was good and looked for popped caps and see none .I did find as measuring the PS voltages that I have the 5 volt standby power but no 24volts at the other pins which probably got get switched on.Has anybody work with these sets.Thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow.53 hits and a week later .Only ball busting. LOL .I guess Vizio is junk as I figured with these flat screens..Mind as will strip it for parts.I could make a good back lighted pix frame for my classic posters.Get rid of the guts and just have the backlight .That would piss off the digital fans that destroyed classic 1950's 60's and 70's console sets for their BS projects.

Last edited by centralradio; 05-27-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unless you get lucky and find a blown fuse, bad diode or bulged and/or oozing electrolytic capacitor on the power supply or main board, it is pretty much "game over" unless you have an esr meter to probe caps on the board that might look good but are nevertheless bad. Sometimes a replacment board can be found on eBay for a reasonable price ... do you feel lucky???

jr
Old 05-27-2016, 06:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'll bite..BUT the last FIVE FP sets I have run across had bad or broken panels..

Anyway...you say you are getting 5V, I assume standby voltage. Have you determined if you are getting the "turn on" command, from the signal board--to turn on the RUN supply? It is either a "low" voltage, that goes "high" when the power is turned on, or the reverse of that. Such as a line to the PS, that is at "0" volts or so--that suddenly goes to at LEAST 3v at turn-on. This turns on the "run" supply and the backlight, and probably switches on the 'boost converter', so that the PS operates at a more efficient level.

just because there are no obvious swelled caps--it does NOT mean this can't be fixed.. You just have to be willing to do some testing.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Unless you get lucky and find a blown fuse, bad diode or bulged and/or oozing electrolytic capacitor on the power supply or main board, it is pretty much "game over" unless you have an esr meter to probe caps on the board that might look good but are nevertheless bad. Sometimes a replacment board can be found on eBay for a reasonable price ... do you feel lucky???

jr

The fuse is good .I still got to get an ESR meter.I'll look at it more .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
I'll bite..BUT the last FIVE FP sets I have run across had bad or broken panels..

Anyway...you say you are getting 5V, I assume standby voltage. Have you determined if you are getting the "turn on" command, from the signal board--to turn on the RUN supply? It is either a "low" voltage, that goes "high" when the power is turned on, or the reverse of that. Such as a line to the PS, that is at "0" volts or so--that suddenly goes to at LEAST 3v at turn-on. This turns on the "run" supply and the backlight, and probably switches on the 'boost converter', so that the PS operates at a more efficient level.

just because there are no obvious swelled caps--it does NOT mean this can't be fixed.. You just have to be willing to do some testing.
I got 5 volts SB voltage.I tried looking for a schematic online but nothing close to it.Lucky enough the board is will labeled on everything.

This is the part number
Delta dps-260hp a rev s1
Photo in attachment.

Thanks for the help guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Delta dps-260hp a rev s1- .jpg (58.5 KB, 24 views)
Audiokarma
Old 05-27-2016, 09:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I looked up the PS board. I think I see a pin that says "P-on'. this is the power-on pin. does it change in a big way--when the power button is pressed?

if it does not do so...try tying this line to the 5v standby line--and see if the voltages come up then. If they do..the signal board is not providing power command. If NOT..the PS is not working. It could be loaded by a shorted inverter or a problem on the PS board itself, or even a bad signal board.

You should be able to remove the PS board entirely--and turn-on all run voltages. I often test them this way.

PS boards are available on line on the "bay, if you need one--and are not able to repair yours. .
Old 05-27-2016, 10:44 PM
"Book em Dano!"

check the 2 mini fuses on the main board. 1 may be open. they just go open for no apparent reason. Fixed a bunch of those. Also those main boards have issues with voltage regulators{117}. BTW your set is a 42"
Old 05-29-2016, 10:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
check the 2 mini fuses on the main board. 1 may be open. they just go open for no apparent reason. Fixed a bunch of those. Also those main boards have issues with voltage regulators{117}. BTW your set is a 42"
Oh Thanks.I forgot about those mini fuses.I had some go in a Sony VCR that drove me nuts since they looked like transistors.OK Its a 42 inch.