Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I took electronics class in high school (early 90's) there was a GR-2000 (in a console cabinet) in the back of the classroom. It had all of the assembly/service manuals and remote. I managed to get it working, that was fun... I don't imagine it is still there.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Learning as I go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Beauvex View Post
OMG I hgave to find me one of those one day!
Old 06-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

I built a Heathkit GR-104C (?) 12-inch B&W TV kit around 1979. It had a nice copper-plated chassis.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I'd still LOVE to build a little Heathkit B/W set. I'm afraid it'll never happen though....I don't wanna build an LCD set. Would be so cool if the reborn Heathkit would be able to source some 5"-9" B/W CRTs from somewhere or other....and put together a nice solid state kit even, with GREAT block diagrams and explanation of how TV "used" to run.

Maybe they could even come up with a little inhouse transmitter kit to go along with this thing. I tried to build those Ramsey transmitters....and they SUCK as far as performance. Just too basic and you could only get one to barely transmit sound OR picture (hard to get both at once)...for like three feet.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I built a GR-2050, a 21 " color TV. It took me a week to put it together. I kept it for years and finally got rid of it because of the size and hoe cheap flat screen TV were.
Audiokarma
Old 02-20-2016, 10:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

I would like to build a TV but Heathkit were very expensive then.I had to stick with Radio Shack in the 1970's and 80's and later Ramsey.

I always thought they were over priced but its a educational experience.

I doubt much if the new incarnation HK if still alive will release any CRT TV's since the DTV switch over.Probably nobody on here that is interested in building a flat screen set.

What would be interesting for me to build is one of those big jumbo LED screens with the multiple color LEDs use to produce the pix.It probably cost $$$$$$$ bucks for it.

I've probably read on here or ARF that Ramsey is phasing out their kits this year.

My late sisters boyfriend built a HK color set in the late 1960's or early 1970's .I dont recall which model it was. Over the years he replaced the pix tube.He had it up to the early 2000's before he dumped it.I wish I known that.I would take it of his hands.

He said he absolutely enjoyed building it and it was a heck of a learning experience doing it.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have a Heathkit 21" color console set from the 70's with on screen display, been up at my cabin for years, might haul back this spring if I can find someone interested in it, Tube is good, sound was not working when last used- i had used a stereo for sound from VHS movies. I do have the manuals for it. A friends uncle built it, and later gave it to me. its an interesting set, you have to program the on screen display with jumper wires. i think it has a video input, I dont recall using a modulator with it.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
I built a Heathkit GR-104C (?) 12-inch B&W TV kit around 1979. It had a nice copper-plated chassis.
I built one of those last year. It was fun to build something older than me. The previous owner built half of it (pc boards), I finished it and fixed all the cracked boards and build errors. It came on (eventually) and worked well, but i should've changed out all those 40 year old electro caps, they don't age well unused. It popped it's circuit breakers several times upon power-up. It's a cute little tv that's heavier than it looks, even runs off 12V. This was the most fun kit I ever built.

All the parts

Almost done

All done

After 30 seconds on for first time. It got alot better after 20 minutes on.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:28 AM
Motorola Minion

A guy near here had a bunch of unbuilt Heathkits on craigslist, I went to see them. One was a TV like this, with a spare CRT - very similar to a SS Zenith.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a 2000 and a 2001. The difference is the 2001 has keypad entry and the 2000 only has up and down channel selection.
They convert easily to video input with only a handful of components.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm still looking for a GR-180, built or unbuilt, with the correct type CRT.