Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Odd Set Radio Product Corp

Picked this guy up when I was picking up an Ebay "win". I put what I could find in the description. Have a look and give me your thoughts. http://www.flickr.com/photos/5371052...in/photostream
Tnx!
Terry
Old 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM
a- v- karma member

Very standard low-priced mid-thirties circuitry in a fancy cabinet.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Made by Continental Radio Corp, later Admiral.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very interesting cabinet! The lower half seems to be purpose-built for something, and a little mini-bar might be right. I could see the glasses being stored inside the door, with the cutout in the top shelf being for the neck of a bottle/decanter.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadlike View Post
Very interesting cabinet! The lower half seems to be purpose-built for something, and a little mini-bar might be right. I could see the glasses being stored inside the door, with the cutout in the top shelf being for the neck of a bottle/decanter.
A good to hide your liquor. The set was built during prohibition.
Audiokarma
Old 05-13-2011, 11:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did a few quick checks on the chassis and thought I'd put power to after replacing the power supply caps. Fired it up and it plays great! The bad news is the power transformer is shorted. After a few mins. you can start to smell it. And it gets really hot! Think I've got a line on a replacement for it.

Will be going to Mohawk School in a month or so. This maybe my first victim as the cabinet is pretty beat up. The good thing is I can "help" my boss to get all of the right supplies!

I can't seem to find any info on it. No model # and I tried looking her up in my Mallory Guide. It lists sets by model# and tube#s so sometimes you can figure the model out by the types of tubes it uses but no luck. I don't mind working on it with out a diagram as it is a simple set. I'm thinking it's from about 1932 or so because of the 6pin 2.5v tubes and it has the old police band right above the BC band.

Next time I'm near thrift store I'm going to pop in and pick up a few shot glasses to see if they fit in the door. I,m not much drinker.

Terry
Old 05-14-2011, 08:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
A good to hide your liquor. The set was built during prohibition.
I should read over my entries, before hitting the submit button. I good place to hide your liquor.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Stopped in and picked up a few shot glasses at the secondhand store. Fit swell in the door.
Looks like the transformer I found on line is going to be a drop in replacement. All is good!
Terry
Old 05-15-2011, 11:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Can't quite tell for the glare on the dial, but don't think it has a second band. The big numbers on the top half of the dial appear to be just a logging scale. If that's so, the extra control in front may be for tone.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a good pic of the dial. http://www.flickr.com/photos/5371052...in/photostream
Terry
On the bench a Philco 21 speaker from a basket case. FC is open so the other parts are going on to a model 70 speaker.
Audiokarma
Old 05-18-2011, 07:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Replacement transformer came in today so after work I got busy and installed it.Perfect fit. Wired it up and works fine but seems to run a bit warm so I going to do a little checking to see if it pulling down too much current. Doesn't seem to have much grid bias on the 47 tube. It's biased though a resistor in the ct of the filament winding.
Terry
Old 05-23-2011, 11:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well after having a closer look there isn't enough bias on the 47. Only about -4v and it has 260v on the plate. Transformer is rated @ 40ma. Measured the total HV current and it was 46ma. So what I did was remove the hv ct from ground and put in a few resistors. What did was give me a tap so I could come up with -15v for the 47 tube bias and it lowers the total hv. As it stands I got it down to 36ma total and the hv is about 190v.
Overall I'm happy with it. It still runs a bit warm but isn't unconformable to touch. Audio sounds good and clean with plenty of volume.
Terry
Old 05-23-2011, 04:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

If the xfrmr is a bit warm you could drop 12 volts and the radio would probably still play fine, by using a filament transformer wired up in bucking mode. Hide the new xfrmr. under the chassis.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had given it some thought. I think I would wire it up to the off/on switch. I've used one down in the radio room that runs all the time and it must use up a bit of current as it would run warm with no load on it. It's an odd ball 11.7v @10A
Terry
Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Strange use for bucking transformer: a few years ago the dishwasher solenoid fill valve would not always open, on a machine only a couple of years old. Ordered new valve. Same thing. Worked sometimes. Sent back, got another. Then another. They were all the same. Bad valve design. I had a CT 12V filament transformer. I tried the valves on the bench with the transformer hooked to supply 6 or 12 volts over line voltage (which was about 119 to start with) and found that 6 volts more was enough to open the valve every time. Neither the valve nor the transformer got anything but a little warm if left on for 10 minutes, which is way longer than they are ever on in the machine. I'll bet there are zillions of machines out there that have caused all kinds of headaches for people and service calls galore and never got the problem fixed.

Audiokarma